Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ibm thinkpad hardrive ?  (Read 5273 times)

givmeadvil

ibm thinkpad hardrive ?
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »
hi there,  a friend asked me to look at his laptop,  to clean it up, it's a ibm thinkpad 770.  pentium 233mhz,  64 ram.  i noticed in "my computer" that it shows 3 different h drives.  (c, d, e).  c drive is a 2gb,  d drive is 2gb and e drive is 29.4mb.  yes that was mega bytes on the e drive.  i'm fairly new to laptops and not that familiar with the hardware in one so my question is i think i pulled out what had to be the hard drive and found only one.  so why are 3 showing. if there all on one can i put all three in one drive.  i'm sure i'll have this for a while so if you need to know anything else just ask and i will get the info for you.  thanks in advance.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: ibm thinkpad hardrive ?
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:31:36 AM »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:07:27 PM »
    Multiple partitionns, one hard drive. System restore software may be on one of those partitions. What do the drives conntain? Someone set it up this way.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 06:08:42 PM »
    Multiple partitionns, one hard drive. System restore software may be on the small partition. What do the drives conntain? Someone set it up this way.

It is probably formatted with FAT16 which can only use 2 gig partitions and the last little bit was left over.

givmeadvil

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 04:52:51 PM »
    Multiple partitionns, one hard drive. System restore software may be on the small partition. What do the drives conntain? Someone set it up this way.

It is probably formatted with FAT16 which can only use 2 gig partitions and the last little bit was left over.

c: used 1.84gb free 150mb-  it has the typical os on it and programs
    d: used 511mb free 1.49gb-  folders= disketts, download, wininst0.400, winold,
    e: used 28kb free 29.3mb- it has some .ffa, .ffl, .ffo, .ffx extensions files
    and as far as what format there set up in all they say is FAT,  doesn't have 16 or 32 or anything beside the word FAT
    and i'm in the process of reading the link that was put in here for me to read.  
    if you need anymore info let me know,  thanks again ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 06:49:50 PM »
    If you use FDISK you can choose option 4 and see the format for the file system.

If there is no key sequence shown on he bootup screen to use System Recovery, then the other partitions are probably useless regarding contents, iunless there is some way to create the diskette images which may be there.

What operating system is loaded on there?

givmeadvil

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 07:22:40 PM »
    partition     status    type    volume label    mbytes    system    usage
       c:  1            a     pri dos                           2045    fat16         50%
            2                 ext dos                            2075                    50%

total disk space is 4120 mbytes
          the extended dos partition contains logical dos drives.    

givmeadvil

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »
    all it shows is the ram in bootup.

givmeadvil

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »
    without a floppy would i need to go into the bios and set to boot from cd to format all the drives?

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 03:20:45 AM »
    To format all the drives, you need o boot from somethinnng other than the hard drive. You can  format the other drives from C: within Windows or through Command Prompt.

givmeadvil

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 10:15:54 PM »
    ok,  update here :-?  well i formatted the drives,  had my bootable copy of 98 put it in the cd drive when i came up with the 2 options i choose number 2 which was boot from cd.  all it would do was give me a cursor  blinking at me,  after hours of resetting and going through the same procedure with the same results ( the blinking cursor) i gave up, put it away,  a few hours later i got it back out.  turned it on,  came to the screen with the 2 options hit option 2 again and this time it started to load windows on the drive,  thought i was done,  well when it loaded it had tons of issues so i formatted again and was going to reload.  now i'm back to the same blinking cursor.  but it's been a few days of trying now and not loading.
    one more thing if i let it try to load from the hd it gives this " I9990305 " nothing else but that.

raceduck

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 09:57:55 PM »
    According to Lenovo's web site, I9993050 is one of many errors involving bootable devices:
    I9990301
    I9990302
    I9990305
    I9990301: Hard disk error
    I9990302: Invalid hard disk boot record
    I9990305: No bootable device
    Repair:
    1.    Check that OS is installed in the HDD. If not, install the OS. (Duh! But this is their sequence)
    2.    Reseat the boot device.
    3.    Check the startup sequence for the correct boot device.
    4.    Check the the OS has no failure and is starting correctly.

Someone correct me, but I thought W98 didn't necessarily load a CD-ROM driver. Isn't that generally on the boot floppy?

givmeadvil

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »
    ok lets see here,  still the same problem with 98 while trying to load it.  so i got my copy of xp pro out thought i would try to put that on it then upgrade the ram later.  well i put the xp pro cd in and it says setup inspecting hardware bla bla bla.  then i goes through installing some setup filesthen stops and says that the ohci1394.sys is corrupted press any key to continue,  then setup failed press any key to restart.  i tried to search this site for ohci1394.sys and couldn't find anything.  what is this problem? :-?

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 08:35:35 PM »
    putting XP on a 233mhz laptop and 64RAM is a bad idea trust me >.< Even my Pentium II has trouble with it and it has 300mhz.

Ehrn your partion your hard drive did you use command FORMAT C: /s <- this will convert your hard drive to fat32. FDISK.exe is for repartioning your harddrives it is good if you wanted to create partions or put them into one.

I could of sworn option 1 was boot Windows with CDROM support. Anyways do you get a C:/> or something to that nature?

Do you see a command compt when you boot up? You might just need to fix a few things. Also are there scratches to the CD? Full and not one of those recover CD's (yuck)

givmeadvil

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 07:01:17 PM »
    putting XP on a 233mhz laptop and 64RAM is a bad idea trust me >.< Even my Pentium II has trouble with it and it has 300mhz.

Ehrn your partion your hard drive did you use command FORMAT C: /s <- this will convert your hard drive to fat32. FDISK.exe is for repartioning your harddrives it is good if you wanted to create partions or put them into one.

I could of sworn option 1 was boot Windows with CDROM support. Anyways do you get a C:/> or something to that nature?

Do you see a command compt when you boot up? You might just need to fix a few things. Also are there scratches to the CD? Full and not one of those recover CD's (yuck)
    1 when the cd boots my two options are 1 boot from hard disk, 2 boot from cd
    2 i get nothing,  just a cursor blinking
    3 it's a full cd,  not just a recover
    this thing is eating my lunch...lol...