Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking for Monitor Recommendations  (Read 142535 times)

kalm1234

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Looking for Monitor Recommendations
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:47:47 AM »
Hello all,

For something like 10 years now I have been using a Samsung TV (UN40FH6030F) as my monitor for my computer.  It has been fine aside from the large size that requires me to crane my head around to look at things.  I have to get fairly close to the monitor (about a foot) because I have a vision impairment that makes it impossible for me to make out details over any significant distance (I am wearing glasses).

But recently it has been getting horizontal black lines across the bottom of it.  So I decided it was time to get something new.  I want an actual monitor this time instead of a tv.  Something that has a refresh rate of at least 120hz and in the 27"-32" range.  I could make due with up to a 34" if I had to, but I don't want to put too much pressure on my newly bought monitor arm and 34" is the max it will support.

I intend to use it for both work (programming, so staring at text for a while) and gaming.

So far I have tried the MSI Optix G27C4W and the LG Ultragear 27GN750-B.

The MSI's colors were not that vibrant, certainly not as vibrant as my old Samsung TV.  The blacks were not that dark either and looking at it for more than a few hours gave me a headache.  It also had very few options for adjusting things.

The LG had pretty good colors.  Not as good as my old Samsung TV, but good enough I could deal with it.  The blacks looked dark too.  However, the backlight bleed was a deal breaker for me.  It doesn't look that bad from a distance of a few feet, but as close as I have to get everything but the center of the screen fogs up to me.

I am tired of taking/shipping monitors back, so can anyone recommend a monitor to me?  I am trying to find my happy medium.

Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:08:59 AM by kalm1234 »

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Google
Re: Looking for Monitor Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 11:10:17 AM »
I'm by no means an expert on this matter, but I can personally attest to the quality of Samsung's mid to high end monitors, especially with the aforementioned constraints/usage scenarios.

I can't remember which model(s) exactly, but I have an older 27" variant of one of their current models, and it's lasted me nigh on 7 years with no issues whatsoever.

The viewing angles, colours, brightness, and black depth are superb, and have been more than adequate even when used for precise adjustments when colour grading videos/editing photos/etc.

I've also experienced no abnormalities when viewing anything fast paced, whether gaming, watching movies, or anything else.

Adjustment and setup have all been a breeze too, no sneaky little issues with retainment of settings, and no problems have resulted from any power surges, blackouts, or unstable power in my area.

When i bought it, it was roughly $400aud, I imagine they've maintained that general price range.
Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Google
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 11:29:14 AM »
Oh, forgot to mention - I also use 2 of the 32" Samsung S32D850T monitors for my audio production PC, and they're fantastic too (and also come in a 27" version, if I'm not mistaken), but I will try to get back to you with the model of the model of the other 27" I mentioned.
Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.

kalm1234

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
For anyone interested, I decided on going with the Samsung LC27RG50FQNXZA, a 27" 1080p curved monitor with a 240hz refresh rate.  The colors are not as good as my Samsung tv, but it doesn't give me a headache, so it is good enough.

gorge441

Rookie
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 06:50:38 AM »
So I decided it was time to get something new.  I want an actual monitor this time instead of a tv.  Something that has a refresh rate of at least 120hz and in the 27"-32" range.  I could make due with up to a 34" if I had to, but I don't want to put too much pressure on my newly bought monitor arm and 34" is the max it will support.

I am currently using AOC 27” c27g1 curved frameless gaming monitor and its refresh rate 144 Hz. If you have a tight budget like mine then i will recommend you to buy AOC 27”.
Check this article hope it might help you.
https://mediaelites.com/best-27-inch-monitor-under-200/