Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What not to do  (Read 2166 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    What not to do
    « on: January 24, 2006, 10:43:13 AM »
    This wild ride I've been on could have been a lot worse. Enter... my personal nightmare...

As you may know, I've put together the coputer I've always wanted. AMD Athlon 64 Processor ~2.2 GHz, 200 GB hdd, a GB of memory, nVidia 6600 video board, Creative Labs 7.1 Audio, the works! Very well advanced features, and I nearly lost it.

I kicked my front USB connection one day not too long ago. Unbeknown to me, I stripped the USB port. Well, my dad tried to fix it, and I plugged in my game pad. I leave for about 5 minutes, and when I get back, my monitor is in power saving mode. I look down inside the transparent cover of my box, and see something you don't want to see unless you are in welding - an arc-flash. I quickly hit the power on my Surge protector.

My power supply had a blown fuse, the motherboard was history, but ironically, the fragile CPU was unharmed. Well, I bought a box that shows readouts of fan speeds (user-adjustable from the side of the box) temperature, etc. I got the $300 motherboard replaced under warranty. Only my internet connection, a total pain in the rear, needs to be set up. And it isn't cooperating. Maybe it's fried. That won't take long to diagnose, but still, it's not fun...

If I hadn't gotten into my room, it could have beena lot worse. I'm pretty much posting this as a warning to anone who tries to repair connections that were stripped: Don't do it. I had the foresight to get a warranty, but if I hadn't, the price of repair would have been jacked up three-fold. The box was $100. The motherboard would have been $300. The CPU, had it blown, would have cost another $269. I was lucky. It's not something I want to count on.

It can happen to you. Beware of stripped connections.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

pcdoc4christ

Re: What not to do
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:36:16 PM »
    Thanks for the info.  If one of my USB ports goes bad, i won't think twice about forking out $35 for a USB expansion card.

:)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 10:06:06 PM »
      *sigh*

My problem was that the cord was only long enough if plugged in the front. It's not a very long cord. I have to be able to use that front USB. Also, we (my folks and I) aren't sure if the plugging in the USB caused the malfunction, or if the ripping of the USB shorted the power supply fan. Either way, I was messed up. But I'm not unsatisfied with the new box. Not only does it tell me temp of CPU and fan speed, I can adjust the power supply fan. And it warns me before it redlines. I don't have it on full, but about 70% speed. (Redline starts at 50%)

General_Badness

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »
      Just curious:  Why isn't this a warning to NOT KICK YOUR COMPUTER instead of doing something so smart as to repair computer electronics yourself?  Just a thought =)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 05:47:49 PM »
        A: I kicked the USB cord, not the box.

2: I managed to blow up my computer trying to fix it myself.

III: I never claimed to have a 4-digit IQ and I sorta panicked, and wasn't thinking quite as clearly as I should have been

and

D: Things did turn out well in the end, did they not? I even have WiFi back. :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 06:26:47 PM »
        Thanks for the thrills!   ;)