Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing Program Priority?  (Read 4157 times)

xofomonu

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Changing Program Priority?
    « on: July 13, 2020, 03:16:45 AM »
    I've noticed within task manager under details you are able to right click a process/running program and change it's priority. I use a program called Video Enhancer AI which enlarges/upscales videos and sometimes depending on the video file can take up to 4 hours or more to process a video and this is with a R5 3600 at 4.2ghz and a RTX 2070 Super Overclocked. I figured if I set the programs priority to high from its previous setting of normal then perhaps it would utilized more system resources and get the job done faster. Well I was wrong, changing it made absolutely no difference. So what is the point of this option if it doesn't actually do anything? I've tried it on other programs as well and saw absolutely no difference.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Changing Program Priority?
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
    Process Priority gives scheduling priority to certain processes.

it is only effective at increasing performance when a process is being starved of some CPU time due to other processes being scheduled to available cores in it's stead. If that isn't happening then it won't have much effect, and With Multi-core CPUs it often becomes less and less effective because processes will typically be free to use entire cores/threads as needed.

"Video Enhancer AI" in particular uses the GPU so CPU Priority scheduling has no effect on that.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.