Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Brand New HDD, Clean Install Win10, first boot = BSOD  (Read 3208 times)

gamerx365

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Brand New HDD, Clean Install Win10, first boot = BSOD
« on: December 15, 2020, 02:39:44 PM »
I've Just been reinstalling windows every few weeks or so for the last several months, but I'm kind of tired of resets and now it wont even boot the first time I restart after installing. I literally just got a 240GB SSD, put it in, installed and updated, and windows ran into an error and cant continue. I often end up running a live Ubuntu flash drive because I don't want to deal with windows. Does it have to do with secure boot or something? Maybe there's a way to factory reset my HP bios? I'm beyond frustrated right now, as this is one of many computer issues i'm having lately. Various linux distros run fine.

HP Elitebook 840 G1
~Any Windows 10 .iso I boot from USB or DVD

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Brand New HDD, Clean Install Win10, first boot = BSOD
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 04:46:50 PM »
I'd swap out that SSD with a HDD or another SSD if you have one and build it fresh and see if the problem is related to just that 240GB SSD as it might have failed.

Also what is the Eternal Death Slayer links you have on your webpage? And they appear to be all broken when checking out the links.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
Hi can you go into the bios
Security menu:
Administrator Password  (remove the password)
Power-On Password (remove the password)
Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) (turn this off until you get windows loaded and booting.)
TPM Device: Disable the TPM device, you need to clear the TPM entries first.
TPM State should show disabled
Clear TPM: Clear the TPM entries

In boot options disable secure boot you may need to turn off uefi boot first 

In a Laptop like your one if the TPM security is enabled the hard drive is encryted and the laptop will only work with devices you add to the TPM list. So when you put a different drive, it will detect ok but won't be able to load windows. You can re enable the tpm and secure boot Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) after windows is loaded and working.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

gamerx365

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 12:25:33 AM »
As of right now, it is working. The steps I took are:
-In BSOD>Other Options>Troubleshoot PC>Reset (basically clean install)
-Turn off updates (for as long as possible, likely to be permanently disabled)

This may not be a proper fix, as it will not update (btw, does this include critical security updates?). I will be following lisa's instructions later on today.

I installed my must-have software, cloned the 240GB SSD to a 500GB HDD using a 2-bay dock, and switched them (HDD in the laptop, SSD in an external enclosure for a portable edition). Still so far so good.

As for a little clarity how this started, the device was abused and the original HDD failed. I replaced it with a new HDD and it was fine. I set up an ubuntu dual boot (likely a big factor), and after windows updated again it would only hang at the spinning circle, or just as "welcome user"/login screen appears. Since then the only way it seems to remain functional is to have updates turned off. So yes, the problem persists with all of my HDD's as well. That's not why I ordered the SSD, but I did think to try it out before any other files were put on it.

Eternal Death Slayer was a text-based batch file RPG I began about 12 years ago. I was 16, .bat's were still alive, and I wasnted push to see how big I could make an RPG using CMD Prompt. Worked on it for 2 years, but unfortunately it's been lost here and depricated from all of the free file servers it was uploaded to. If any old members here have ancient hard drives with random trash and would please send me a version, I'd be absolutely delighted... by the end of my time developing it, had about 5 towns to visit, multi-colored screens with primitive text based graphics (using ctext.exe), theme music and a few sound effects(forget what .exe that was, i found it when playing another batch rpg about a time-cop?), and I think i was beginning work on a farm-type aspect, where you come back every 6 hours or day or whatever to collect money from your farms to help buy better equipment. I was also trying to figure out how to use a ftp to upload a text file to some simple ftp server, and download other text files from the server, probably 30-60 second intervals. This would enable simple online multiplayer. That was beyond my skill level then.

EDIT: Yuck, just read some of my old posts and cringed half to death... even the ones from this year.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:37:23 AM by gamerx365 »

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »
Hi again,

At least your elite book has USB3.0 and a charging port which should run the SSD ok in an external case. Not a great idea to use on a USB2.0 port and DON"T just unplug it without using the safe to disconnect.

Most SSD's draw over an amp at 5 Volts which is right on the limit of USB power. Also laptops often put the USB to sleep to save battery, this can be when the ssd is doing miniatous and cause data loss. If you want an external SSD then you are better to use one manufactured as a USB drive not one you assemble yourself.

If you want to run other operating systems along side  Windows 10 consider running them as Virtual machines.

Windows 10 pro 64bit has Hyperv to handle this
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/about/
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

gamerx365

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 07:00:08 AM »
Shortly after my last comment, my 1TB internal drive died :/ So the SSD is now probably a permanent fixture in this laptop. Going to try to buy mostly SSD in the future, hopefully grab another M.2 soon too. I can disable USB sleep features in the BIOS right? Im thinking thats what I did, or my powered hub keeps it on long enough to close...

Any cautions on running a Windows to Go on a flash drive? SD card? Or doing backups of important data to either? I like the idea of having an array of 256GB or 512GB MicroSD's as either primary or backup locations.