Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bios changes caused by hardware???  (Read 2036 times)

Valerie

Bios changes caused by hardware???
« on: February 04, 2006, 07:58:32 PM »
Not sure whether this query is hardware or software related so will try here.

IBM PC300GL, Intel Pent 166mhz, IBM Bios (1997), Win.98se, 48mb RAM.  (Still running like new).

At bootup got error messages that (a) the configuration had changed and (b) there were floppy disk errors.  No beeps, bangs or any other error indications.

Checked Bios and found settings for 3-1/2" 1.44mb floppies had been changed to 5.25" floppies and that the monitor type had been changed to some outlandish breed.  Reset the bios settings and cold booted.  Same messages, same changes to bios.  Tried several times both cold & warm booting.

Tried booting from a bootdisk and got same problems.  Allowing the boot to continue showed that there was no floppy drive setup.  Unplugged & replugged the floppy drive & checked all cabling, still no joy.

Finally changed the floppy drive to using a known "good" one and hey presto no more problems.

Now the question:  Why would a hardware failure cause bios settings to be changed?

Any ideas please??

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Bios changes caused by hardware???
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 08:33:49 PM »
    Until I got to your 'hey presto' point I was thinking battery but...
    Faulty 3.5" floppy not recognised ---> bios defaults to 5.25"  :-?
    Glad to hear it's working for you.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 08:38:51 PM »
    A model of that vintage should be long overdue for a new battery anyway. Sometimes settings will not hold, etc. I have seen a lot of strange things. Has it ever been changed? It's real easy on those models.

There may have been an updated BIOS for that particular model. It may not be available on the IBM/Lenovo web site anymore, but you could check that as well. This may have been some sort of bizarre known issue that was later corrected, or just some aberration. As long as it works, though.
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 08:41:10 PM by GX1_Man »

Valerie

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 11:22:30 PM »
    Thank you both.  I never thought about default bios settings if the floppy drive is not detected.

I'll have a look around for a new battery though sorta doubt if the model in use is still available.  The battey has never been changed & there are no indications of any problems caused by it.

Ditto with the bios update, Everest doesn't give any number identification just IBM and date.

Thanks again

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:38:11 AM »
    Radio Shack will have what you need for about $5-10. It is a standard CMOS battery for those.

http://www.rlrouse.com/computer-loses-time.html

Just make sure you reinstall the new one right side up! Check with the old battery for a + marking.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/1995/mar95/pcn0320/pcn0320.asp&articleid=1437&guid=

Let us know if any problems.  ;)