Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help running the Windows Subsystem for Linux  (Read 4658 times)

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Experienced
    I need help running the Windows Subsystem for Linux
    « on: March 06, 2021, 07:58:27 AM »
    I followed these instructions: "How to Run a Linux Desktop Using the Windows Subsystem for Linux".
    But instead of installing the LXDE environment I chose Gnome. Other than that I did exactly as instructed.

So towards the end of the page after running XLaunch, I am supposed to enter this command "startlxde", assuming I installed the LXDE environment. So what am I supposed to enter if I installed Gnome? startgnome did not work.
    Update: I tried "startx"
    It told me that that command was not found, but I could install "xinit", so I did.
    When I used "startx" again after installing xinit, it replied this:

Code: [Select]
    startx  xauth:  file /home/drpeppercan/.Xauthority does not exist   config/udev: failed to bind the udev monitor   [config] failed to pre-init udev  X.Org X Server 1.20.9  X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0   Build Operating System: Linux 4.15.0-130-generic x86_64 Ubuntu  Current Operating System: Linux DESKTOP-TKTALUL 4.4.0-19041-Microsoft #488-Microsoft Mon Sep 01 13:43:00 PST 2020 x86_64Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel init=/init   Build Date: 17 January 2021  09:13:31AM                                                                                 xorg-server 2:1.20.9-2ubuntu1.2~20.04.1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)                Current version of pixman: 0.38.4  Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org  to make sure that you have the latest version.  Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,   (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,  (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.  (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Mar  6 07:12:48 2021                                                    (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"  (EE)   Fatal server error:   (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Switching VT failed   (EE)  (EE)  Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support  at http://wiki.x.org  for help.   (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.  (EE)   (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.  xinit: connection to X server lost   deallocvt: ioctl VT_DISALLOCATE: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Thanks guys

JDL

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: I need help running the Windows Subsystem for Linux
      « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:21:55 AM »
      Never mind about this thread.
      This is where I stand now: "Ubuntu in Windows 10 WSL won't access the Internet :("

Thanks

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: I need help running the Windows Subsystem for Linux
      « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:44:07 AM »
      The SSL isn't exactly ready for prime time...it would be far less painful to install Ubuntu on a seperate HDD and Dual-boot...just my opinion.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "