Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File associations  (Read 59870 times)

alwaysahasslewithtech

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    File associations
    « on: March 24, 2021, 07:15:02 PM »
    Hi, all,

I hope some of you can help me with a problem I'm having.  Bear in mind that I'm a user, not a tech person.  With that said, I'm usually pretty good at fixing things, as long as the instructions are step-by-step and none of the steps are missing (sometimes people who know the stuff well leave out a step that is obvious to them, but to those of us who are not techies, it's not obvious).  Thank you! 

I have Windows 7 Professional and Microsoft Office 2003. 

Most of what I do for work is:  heavy internet use for information research, heavy email use, copying/pasting internet links in the emails so the readers of the emails can go to those web pages, moderate Word use, light Excel use.  Here is the problem:

1.  As of approx. 6 months ago, when I receive gmail emails with a Word document attached that has a docx extension, when I click on the attached document, the page that opens says google doc.  When I click on the download icon, it opens up in Wordpad.

2.  As of approx. 4 months ago, when I receive gmail emails with an Excel document attached that has an xlsx extension, when I click on the attached document, at the top of the screen, it says (this is just an example of one such document): https://mail.google.com/mail (with a string of other numbers and letters behind it).

When I click on the download icon, the Word program opens, followed by a small box with gibberish characters in it.

3. Up until early this morning, I was able to open pdf documents directly from a website.  Mid-morning today, they were not opening up.  At the bottom of my screen tabs were appearing, but when I clicked on the tabs, the document would not appear - just more tabs would show up at the bottom.  I also can't open them when attached to gmail or yahoo email.

This is VERY weird!  I was able to open Word and Excel documents just fine previously, as well as pdf.

Thanks again!