Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 10 not seeing D drive  (Read 13555 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Win 10 not seeing D drive
    « on: December 04, 2022, 07:41:51 AM »
    Hello

My Advent SE2102 desktop PC is not 'seeing' my D drive (CD-DVD ROM) in File Explorer on Windows 10. The drive itself works fine: it ejects the tray and accepts it back.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Win 10 not seeing D drive
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 01:11:15 PM »
    Is it listed in Device Manager?  have you checked the data cable to the device?  It should also be listed in Bios settings.
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 07:02:07 PM »
      Thanks lostcoast

I will check in Device Manager and post back if that's OK. How would I check in the BIOS? I have to go to F12 at Start up. Should I see it there? Thanks again.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 05:12:36 AM »
      Does the drive appear in File Explorer after you insert a disk?

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 12:25:34 PM »
        Thanks for your reply. The DVD (CD-ROM) drive does NOT appear in Device Manager. I have just inserted an authentic Warner Bros DVD which I know works and, opening up File Explorer, the D drive is not there either.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »
        And does it show in Device Manager as you were asked earlier?

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 05:01:50 PM »
          No, Allan, the DVD (CD-ROM) drive does NOT appear in Device Manager.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 05:12:40 AM »
          Well, it sounds as though the drive may be defective even though it appears to be working. If you really need an optical drive, I'd suggest an inexpensive external drive. There are a number of good choices on Amazon, all under $30: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=external+cd+drives&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sucBhDgARIsAFoytUvmuVH7Y57K6uyMiUO3sYdVk63L9LgWWzB-Txp0Z6Tpxr32WkHaAs8aAvvKEALw_wcB&hvadid=616991223305&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004031&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15773213305777858453&hvtargid=kwd-16178720&hydadcr=24657_13611735&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_7sqwdlxlz_e

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 11:01:36 AM »
            Many thanks for that, Allan. I have saved the Amazon link.

SHENGTON

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 02:47:20 AM »
            It sounds like you may have an issue with your computer recognizing the CD-DVD ROM drive. This can sometimes be caused by a problem with the drivers for the drive, an issue with the connection between the drive and the motherboard, or a problem with the drive itself.

First, try restarting your computer and see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't work, you can try updating the drivers for the CD-DVD ROM drive. To do this, open the Device Manager by pressing the Windows key + X and selecting "Device Manager" from the menu. In the Device Manager, look for the CD-DVD ROM drive under the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" section. Right-click on the drive and select "Update Driver" from the menu. This will open the Update Drivers wizard, which will guide you through the process of finding and installing updated drivers for the drive.

If updating the drivers doesn't fix the issue, you may need to check the connection between the CD-DVD ROM drive and the motherboard. Make sure that the cable connecting the two is securely attached at both ends, and that there are no loose connections or damaged wires. If you're not sure how to do this, it may be best to consult the user manual for your computer or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

If the problem persists, it is possible that the CD-DVD ROM drive itself may be faulty and will need to be replaced. In this case, you may need to consult a computer technician or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.