Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer wont start up  (Read 5954 times)

kaiyen

Computer wont start up
« on: February 19, 2006, 12:05:04 PM »
Well my computer would start up normally up to the boot screen the one with the windows logo and such, it would finish loading but then I would only see a black screen. I can see its still loading and all but no desktop screen or anything.

It happen this morning when I went to turn on the computer. I shutdown the computer like any other time I do by turning off the regular way of turn off button through the start menu.

I have important stuff on the computer that I need to access
If anyone have a solutions please help. Thank you for your time

GX1_Man

Re: Computer wont start up
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 12:22:03 PM »
How comfortable are you with opening the computer and working in there? If you are there are some things to check. If not, take it to the shop.

Post some specs about the machine, operating system, etc. and we can proceed if you're game.   ;)

kaiyen

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 12:37:06 PM »
AMD XP 2000
1gb ram
Windows XP home
Geforce FX 5200

Im comfortable with opening my computer I do it every other week to clean it

blowing dust out of the fans with a air duster thats all I do lol
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 12:42:21 PM by kaiyen »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 12:47:52 PM »
Look inside when it turns on. Does the CPU fan spin? Does the fan on the powoer supply turn? can you hear hard drive activity? Does anything look loose.

If it looks OK, then start by removing and reseating the video card and the RAM chip(s). Then power on again. Any difference?

kaiyen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 12:50:32 PM »
everything is running and working I did that I removed the video card and put it in a different slot same with the ram card restarted and its still the same

so I put everything back to the way it was again and restarted and nothing happen still loads up to the logos and then  a black screen

if worst comes to worst I guess Ill reinstall winxp
but how do I go about doing that though ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 12:56:28 PM by kaiyen »

King_Richjard

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »
Reinstall is the last resort since you are going to wipe out evetrything. Try this first.

Check your hardwares again, expecially your hard drive. Do you know how to get into the BIOS? Depends on the computer, some use the DEL key and some use the ESC key. If your BIOS works, then restart the computer in Safe Mode. Usually is F8 key.

Hope this helps.  :)

kaiyen

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 01:51:50 PM »
i tried doing a safe mode but somehow it goes to a screen resoultion not vaild or something like that and it nevers get to the logo screen

Backdated

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 06:17:51 PM »
.... I removed the video card and put it in a different slot.....
Really? How many AGP slots does your system have?