Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Working with or around WIN10  (Read 19060 times)

Janis

Topic Starter

Beginner

Working with or around WIN10
    « on: March 22, 2023, 03:01:10 PM »
    I do own a Del Vostro windows den pc.   It has been in the closet for close two years because I disliked it so  mcuh.  Now my Win 7 Pro is in the shop and needed to access online programs.    Again a real disaster.  I finally found an old version of Foxfire and am getting by.  The Pc still won't print, can't respond to any cd inserted, and  several other glitches.   I am hoping to get my longtime WIN 7 back soon and then get rid of the WIN 10 permanently.  Are there any suggestions for cleaning up this pc per the lack of printing and CD?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Working with or around WIN10
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 10:00:03 PM »
    Hi Janis,

There is lots of issues using a computer running windows 7 on the internet. Like the limited browser support, you have found an earlier version of Firefox  which runs but does it have the security requirements to browse some sites.

The Dell Vistro's are normally well specced and very reliable. Is the printer you have supported by Windows 10 most printers older than 10 years need to have the last windows  version drivers installed in windows legacy mode. Can you post the the make and model of printer please.

If you insert a cd does the disk position change after you try to access the disk. like is the label in a different place this is to check the disk is spinning
    Does the cd show in device manager, it will be in the disk drives
    Dell's have bios diagnostics and windows diagnostics both have the option to test the cd how to do this is covered here
     https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-nz/000179493/dell-diagnostic-tools-to-diagnose-and-fix-hardware-problems-on-your-dell-pc-tablet-or-servers
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Janis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 03:23:24 PM »
      Thanks for more background info although it will not work on this WIN 10    New printer, doesn't print although I tried different links.  The CD player lights up momentarily but no positive response.   Keep hoping my WIN 7 will be back home soon.  There are issues with 7 if you aren't cautious but it works every time.     Anything past win 7 is quite impossible for seniors to use.    Thanks for the info

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 08:08:31 PM »
      If you want windows 10 to have the look of windows 7 there is a program called Classic Shell. From here which may help

http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 06:20:09 AM »
      Actually, Classic Shell is now open source and renamed as Open Shell. Excellent little utility: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu