Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Yamaha OPL3-SA card sound won't come out right  (Read 4203 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Yamaha OPL3-SA card sound won't come out right
    « on: March 08, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »
    Hey, guys, I've got one last question.  As of late, all previous problems with my HP Pavilion have been solved (CD tray erratic behavior, Windows freezing when I exit from DOS programs), but I wound up with another problem that resulted in me switching back to the Sound Blaster AudioPCI.  I had gotten a Yamaha OPL3-SA sound card, and I got the drivers and it was installed.  I ran some tests and I encountered an issue with the sound.  Sound came out, but it would not come out in proper stereo.  When a stereo test was run from one of my games' setup programs, the sound rapidly switched back and forth betweent the speakers when both the left and right sound tests were being done.  Can anybody help with this issue?  I'd like to use that card and not get that problem.  I need true stereo to come out of it.  Also, I was only able to get up to sound with Sound Blaster Pro emulation.  The card appearantly doesn't support Sound Blaster 16 emulation, but I don't know for sure.

This is the configuration file:

DetectionMode=AUTO
    AutoPowerSave=OFF
    PowerDown=OFF
    WSSEN=ON
    WSSBase=530
    WSSDMA=DUAL
    WSSPDrq=0
    WSSCDrq=1
    WSSIrq=7
    SBEN=ON
    SBBase=220
    SBIrq=5
    SBDrq=1
    MPU401=ON
    MPUBase=330
    MPUIrq=5
    OPL3=ON
    JoyStick=ON
    SBMixFM=4
    SBMixVoice=4
    SBMixMain=4
    WSSMixLine=23
    WSSMixAUX1=23
    WSSMixAUX2=23
    WSSMixVoice=47

Can you see any errors in the configuration?  This is the configuration from the original install floppy.
    « Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 08:28:32 PM by DarthMaul »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Yamaha OPL3-SA card sound won't come out right
      « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:07:26 PM »
       DarthMaul..... I was just looking for the right driver for that card , but need to know what operating system your using .
      There are a number of drivers for that old card on......  http://members.driverguide.com/index.php      You will have to create a account ......but its free and then you can hopefully find the correct one .

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:13:49 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 06:21:58 PM »
        Well, first of all, I already have an account at driverguide.com.  I'm running Windows 95.  dl, can you find the oldest known driver for that card for Windows 95?  Any help can be appreciated.  If you can't find the 1996 or 1997 driver, try looking for the 1999 driver if you can.  I may have already found that, but I can't be sure if it'll work.  Will it be necessary to update the ini file as well?  I already tried the newest driver, and that didn't help me much.  I'd like to find a YMF701-S specific driver if I could.  That's the card's chip model.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 11:04:06 PM »
           DarthMaul...... I think that either the first or second search result is what you are looking for

dl65  ::)
          « Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 11:05:30 PM by dl65 »
          If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 06:58:13 AM »
          For gaming etc purposes, this card supports SoundBlaster Pro emulation. Drivers are still widely available for it.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 01:22:04 PM »
            Thanks.  I downloaded the driver and I will burn it to a CD so that when the Yamaha card is put back in the HP, the driver will then be installed.  Thanks.  Hopefully this one will work.  There's one last question.  Is there any way to get Sound Blaster 16 emulation on a Yamaha OPL3-SA?