Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD drive not reading DVD's  (Read 8274 times)

kc0syi

DVD drive not reading DVD's
« on: March 11, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
I built a computer about 6 months ago and put a DVD burner in it. I haven't done a lot of DVD burning, but i have done a fair amount of CD burning.( I include this beccaus I thought it minght be relevant in some way). I played a couple DVD's in it, but a few weeks later I went to watch one and it didn't work. The drive spins up and the light goes green, but in"My Computer" the icon goes from "DVD-RW drive (E:)" to just "CD drive (E:)". It still runs CD's just fine but will not play the DVD's. I have not tried to read a DVD data disk yet, (because I do not own one). Can any one help me out?

Backdated

Re: DVD drive not reading DVD's
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 07:56:30 AM »
What program/codec do you use to watch DvDs?

It sounds like a duff unit but go to Device Manager, uninstall it and reboot. Windows will automatically reinstall it.

kc0syi

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »
I use both Windows Media Player and Quick Time Player. I tried Uninstalling it and rebooting the computer. No luck.

IT-Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:58:07 AM »
Question: Have you tried other DVD's?  You said it displays CD instead of DVD?  Is the DVD you are attempting to play a burned one?  Or is it store-bought?  Can you Explore the drive and see what's on it?

kc0syi

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 10:05:24 AM »
All of the DVD's that I have tried were store-bought movies. I have not tried to read a burned DVD as of yet. Ill tqake a look at the Explore.

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 02:48:03 PM »
Neither WMP or QuickTime have inbuilt provision for correctly reading DvD. Try downloading and running the full installer for Theoricas [highlight]The Codecs[/highlight].

kc0syi

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:14:15 AM »
Sorry this has taken so long... How do I look for what my codec I am using..I still haven't had time to download your recomendation. I'll get to that tonight.

IT-Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 11:31:33 AM »
Goto the Control Panel, Sound and Audio, Hardware, (scroll to Video Codecs) and click properties (2x).

I also wanted to mention that I had a similar issue with a dvd burner where I could not play 8x dvd's (only 4x ones) and it came up with several similar errors.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 11:33:44 AM by IT-Guy »

kc0syi

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 05:56:58 PM »
Here is the box showing the codecs. Backdated's recomendation didn't help at all I'm still having the same problem.

I had to take the attachment for space reasons...if you need to see it let me know Thanks
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 06:04:19 PM by kc0syi »

kc0syi

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 05:59:34 AM »
Some Help Here Please........

SIMSHI

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 06:55:20 AM »
Have you changed the region at all on the rom coz you only get 4 chances to do it. if so and you have no tries left get dvd region free(this is now a commercial product so you can not download for free) search for it in google you should have some luck there. hope it helps if that is the problem
make sure you have it set to the corresponding region to wherever you are in the world...

cheers SIMSHI :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 06:57:33 AM by SIMSHI »

kc0syi

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 11:01:59 AM »
HUH????????? Speak english please LOL I don't understand
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 07:36:35 PM by kc0syi »

kc0syi

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 07:57:56 AM »
I think I figured out what you ment...I right clicked on MY Computer--Properties--Hardware--Device Manager--DVD/CD ROm Drives(Right Click)--Properties...I think..I'll have to go check and I'll get a screen shot of the window.

Backdated

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 03:48:46 PM »
My recommendation has worked for hundreds of others in your position!

What exactly did you do when you visited the link I gave to The-Codecs? The package certainly hasn't been installed properly if it's been installed at all.

tonyh1220

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 08:40:33 PM »
I am having a very similiar problem.  My DVD Burner will recognize everything excepts blank DVD+/- R discs.  It will play DVD movies, CD's, blank cd's, and blank DVD-RW.  I thought it was just a bad burner, but just bought and installed a new one and the same problem.  I removed all the old codecs and installed the ones from the link in a previous post, but the drive still won't recognize blank DVD-R's.  This has got to be some kind of software issue, can anyone help?