Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel Help - lookup?  (Read 2574 times)

wonderdunder

Excel Help - lookup?
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:35:12 AM »
got another excel problem - hope this makes sense!

I have a table into which data is entered.  one of them is the temperature of water(C5), and the next one is the density of water at that temperature(C6).
What I want to do is as follows:
As soon as the temperature is typed in, I want excel to refer to another table on a different sheet (Column A has temperatures, Column B has density at that temperature), pick up the temperature that was entered in C5 and look up the required value for that temperature, and then enter that value in the cell mentioned before (C6)   :-?

If anyone can help I would be VERY grateful!

Thanks

bdetchevery

Re: Excel Help - lookup?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »
I think I understand. The function you want to lookup on in excel is called VLOOKUP (if table is vertical) or HLOOKUP (if table is horizontal)

Assuming you have a sheet called "Sheet1" with Column A (Temperatures) and Column (B) Densities
Let's assume that the range of this data is A2:B6..You probably have a bigger list.

Put the function:

=VLOOKUP(C5,Sheet1!A2:B6,2,FALSE)

in cell C6 of the sheet you want to do the lookup on.

The user types a temperature in C5

Excel will take the item entered in C5 of that sheet and try to find it in the range from A2:B6, if found it will return ther result in the 2nd column of the specified range (in this case the B Column)

For more help lookup VLOOKUP in Excel

Hope this helps.

Brad D.