Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

When Windows Vista is released, what do you plan to do?

Rush out and buy a new computer with Vista on it.
1 (1.9%)
Update my old Windows with Vista right away.
2 (3.8%)
Build my own computer and install Vista.
1 (1.9%)
Wait to see what others say before I get Vista.
10 (19.2%)
Try an evaluation version of Vista before I buy.
7 (13.5%)
Wait till Microsoft releases a service pack.
1 (1.9%)
Wait till my old computer dies before I get it.
2 (3.8%)
Stick with my old version of Windows.
13 (25%)
Stay with my Mac, with Linux or with another OS.
3 (5.8%)
Laugh at fools who added to Gates' billions.
6 (11.5%)
I haven't made up my mind about Vista.
5 (9.6%)
Other (please explain).
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Will you get the new Windows operating system?  (Read 5011 times)

pcdoc4christ

Will you get the new Windows operating system?
« on: March 16, 2006, 06:19:45 AM »
What do you think?

=====================================

If you change your mind and want to remove your vote and vote again, you have 60 minutes to do so.  

If you are a guest, you can also vote in this poll.

8-)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 07:09:48 AM by pcdoc4christ »

Backdated

Re: Will you get the new Windows operating system?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 06:59:03 AM »
With what Microsoft and it's partners have in mind for the future, starting with Vista, I think I shall be porting over to Linux. I shall be strongly encouraging others to do the same.
Search for "Trusted Computing Initiative" if you need clarification of the above.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 06:59:35 AM by Backdated »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 07:55:55 AM »
Backdated:

Yeah, i'm thinking it will be a waste of money to upgrade to Vista, but i work in technical support for a small software business, so i should be familiar with Vista.  Therefore, i might purchase a Microsoft textbook on Vista with an evaluation CD and install it on a system i'm not using just to get familiar with the OS.

In regard to what you posted, what do Microsoft and its partners have in mind that you don't like?

What "flavor" of Linux would you recommend?

Have you found any way to install and use Microsoft Office and other Windows software with Linux?

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 08:18:04 AM »
Try a Google for "TCPA" "and "NGSCB" but have a look at [highlight]El Reg[/highlight] first perhaps. Don't believe all the partnership hype about how wonderful all this will be - It's a concerted attempt at complete domination and the suppression of all that the computer "industry" has stood for so far with regards to "small time" innovation and development.

I'm only really picking my way through the Linux maze as yet but have taken an early shine to RedHat. In light of all that's out there, that will probably soon change. My main concern if I am to recommend Linux to others is driver support and ease of driver installation. Open Office seems to have the MS Office thing covered, but as I've said, I've only really taken a few small steps.

I hear what you're saying about the need for at least familiarity with the OS, but I'm thinking that before it's usage becomes widespread, I may well have finished in the game and gone on to pastures new.

As an aside, I'd completely forgotten about the pics and info you asked me for. I'll sort something out this evening for you.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 12:39:28 PM »
    I will try it. But I don't think get it earlier than first Service Pack. I did not like XP after it's second Service Pack even. Lets see.
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »
    I have a Xandros system which  included Crossover Office. It runs Office 2000 flawlessly, but I have come to prefer OpenOffice. The file compatibility is very good. OprnOffice runs on my other linux boxes and it is free!

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 05:55:29 PM »
    I have a Xandros system which  included Crossover Office. It runs Office 2000 flawlessly, but I have come to prefer OpenOffice. The file compatibility is very good. OprnOffice runs on my other linux boxes and it is free!

When you say, "it runs Office 2000 flawlessly" do you mean Microsoft Office?

=======================================

Thanks for the link, Backdated.  I don't plan to purchase it at least till SP1 either, Peccavi, as history shows new OSes from Microsoft ship with too many bugs and it also takes too long for software to catch up with the newest flavor of Windows.

8-)

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »
    When you say, "it runs Office 2000 flawlessly" do you mean Microsoft Office?

MS Office 2000. Yes it does!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »
    I intend to wait and see. I do that for EVERYTHING now days. I waited a year or so before getting XP, a year or so before I got an IPOD, everything. Vista is no different. I also intend on possibly trying an evaluation version of Vista sometime. I probably won't actually own Vista until I build my own computer when I go to college.

Flame

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 07:49:18 AM »
    MS Office 2000. Yes it does!

Cool.  Is Xandros free, and from where can i download it?
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:49:49 AM by pcdoc4christ »

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »
    You can download the Community Edition for free (torrent only, however). I think there is a 30 day trial of Crossover included. You can buy it for a discounted price if you want it (or PM me and I will send you a copy).

The Deluxe version has Crossover included but it is about $90.

There are several flavors. Check out www.xandros.com

None of them have virus/spyware/adware issues. One license covers all personal machines you have.  ;D

Armando

Hopeful
      « Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 03:24:57 PM »
      If I only knew anything about it..

I'll probably wait and get it a year or two after it comes out. It all depends. I have to get a new laptop for when I go to college anyway, so maybe it'll come with Vista.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 10:04:50 AM »
      If I only knew anything about it..

I'll probably wait and get it a year or two after it comes out. It all depends. I have to get a new laptop for when I go to college anyway, so maybe it'll come with Vista.

I'd suggest buying a new laptop just after Vista is released.  You are bound to find a laptop with Windows XP Professional of Media Center installed on one at a lower price.  

Some programs might not work with Vista when it is first released, and you will have to wait till the makers of the programs provide patches to the software to download and install.

Windows XP Professional and Media Center 2005 provide the best of Windows 98 SE / Me and Windows 2000 in one operating system, plus a few extras, like the Windows Firewall and additional commands available in the CMD window.  I'm not so sure this new operating system will be much of an improvement, and may even be fraught with bugs, as was Windows Me.

Doc

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 10:05:59 AM by pcdoc4christ »