Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange, horizontal, repeating lines.  (Read 12637 times)

Kahn Lin

Strange, horizontal, repeating lines.
« on: August 20, 2004, 10:49:47 PM »
I recently re-booted my computer for the second time thanks to certain spyware. But everyime I visit a page and scroll down with the mouse wheel or with the arrows to the right, I get these horizontal lines which seem to repeat the page. I've never had this problem before.

I thought at first it was a mouse problem, so I changed the settings. The option "One screen at a time" is better but there is still that annoying line.

However, I have no problems with M.S Paint nor certain websites. If anyone knows how to remedy this strange problem, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time. ^_^

merlin_2

Re: Strange, horizontal, repeating lines.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 11:01:01 PM »
you can try tools/internet options/advanced/restore defaults...click...

Kahn Lin

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 11:06:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that but the "smooth-scrolling" option part on the Internet Settings make the lines more frequent and lags scrolling.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 11:12:25 PM »
do you mean this>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190136&Product=ie  what operating system and what ie?are using..

Kahn Lin

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 11:17:54 PM »
No, its definitely not white bars, its more like the page moving down to the "next screen".

I'm sorry, I'm not computer whiz, what you you mean by operating system. ^^;;

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 11:20:43 PM »
win 3.1 /95/98/me/2000/2000pro/winxp home/pro..etc..

Kahn Lin

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 11:24:39 PM »
Oh! Sorry, I use Windows XP.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 11:44:33 PM »
is this website you are trying to use badly scripted..? or would you say this happens on certain websites?or all of them? you could try this reboot pc and hit keep taping the f8 and splash screen will appear chose the last good config....and also run this >http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ to see if its a trojan causing this problem...it may well be...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 11:45:54 PM by merlin_2 »

Kahn Lin

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 11:48:42 PM »
No this happens to me on every website except certain websites like : http://chaos.mazoku.org/jungle.html

Sorry I should've been more specific when I said "visit a page".

I don't think its a computer problem itself because I don't have this problem with M.S Paint.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 11:52:37 PM »
no problem with that webpage ....if these suggestions do not work....try another browser like firefox/avant...another suggestion is this >http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm

Kahn Lin

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 11:59:16 PM »
Thank you so much for your suggestions! Right now, I'm running a virus/trojan scan and I'll try that theeldergeek next if it isn't a trojan or virus.

Oh yeah, I'm sorry, I should've also mentioned that it also happens with other browsers like Firefox.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 03:28:21 AM »
I have seen the exact same problem on another computer that I used when this one was broken down and no one here was able to provide an answer.

Do you have two videocards installed? If yes, what kind of videocards?

Did you install the latest drivers for the videocards? - This seemed to have made the problem less frequent on the other PC.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 03:38:35 AM by Raptor »

Kahn Lin

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 01:21:53 PM »
That may be it, except um....is there any way I could check? I'm really sorry, I'm kind of terrible with computers. ~~;

Also, I have re-booted the computer before and didn't have this problem. When I re-booted again, it just happened. Do you have any idea why it happened so if I ever fix it, I could prevent it.

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 01:32:30 PM »
Check the back of your computer housing to see if there are two VGA ports. They are usually blue. The monitor should be connected to one. Disconnect it and see what the port looks like for an example.

Article of interest:

Computer Video Card Support and Help

Kahn Lin

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 01:49:11 PM »
Yeah I just checked and I only found one blue one connected to the monitor.

Also, I'm not really sure if its a computer problem itself because I don't have this problem with M.S Paint. Just with I.E and/or any other browser.

merlin_2

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2004, 01:55:10 PM »
did you try the safe mode option chose the last good config.....have you downloaded any recent updates from m$oft?

Kahn Lin

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2004, 01:58:11 PM »
Safe Mode Option? When do they ask you that? I don't recall seeing that when I re-booted...

And I haven't downloaded any recent updates either.

merlin_2

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 02:02:10 PM »
i mentioned in in one of my replies...lets try in again reboot your pc and keep tapping the f8 key on your keyboard...a black screen will appear with options like safe mode  ...look for  and chose last good config option and reboot pc...

Kahn Lin

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2004, 02:05:50 PM »
Oh dear, I'm so so so sorry, I probably went ahead with that Stinger thing first and forgot about that. I'm really sorry and really thankful for you guys holding up with me and my lack of computer knowledge.

Alright, I'm going to try to re-boot it again. =D

Kahn Lin

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2004, 04:07:40 PM »
The problem is gone!

Thank you all so so so much for your suggestions and help. I really appreciate it, especially since I had no knowledge about computers, you all were still willing to help. Thank you all so so much again. =DD