Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd drive doesnt recognize rented DVDs  (Read 5666 times)

nittymcdubs

dvd drive doesnt recognize rented DVDs
« on: February 21, 2006, 11:10:28 PM »
its a fairly new revelation, but poses a huge problem for me since i watch my movies on the computer. i can read old burned dvds and cds but everything new i get doesnt register in my computer.

anyone got any suggestion? (apologies if this has been answered somewhere before, i searched for this question to no avail) :-?

GX1_Man

Re: dvd drive doesnt recognize rented DVDs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 04:29:53 AM »
Do we get some clues about the machine, operating system, software, when this started, other problems with the system, etc.?

T-Chai

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 07:13:22 AM »
Updating your Driver is always a solution for fix it  ;)

nittymcdubs

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 11:38:34 AM »
ive checked for an updated driver.

its a Dell Dimension E310 running Windows XP. its a DVD-RW drive and the software i was using to watch the dvds was the default windows media center player and i used Nero to burn them. the problem started about 3 weeks ago and the only other problem i have with my computer is an annoying little WinFixer virus i cant seem to shakre off the computer no matter how many times i use PC-cillin or Ad-Aware.

thats about all i can think of, thanks again.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 03:59:51 PM »
the problem started about 3 weeks ago and the only other problem i have with my computer is an annoying little WinFixer virus i cant seem to shakre off the computer no matter how many times i use PC-cillin or Ad-Aware.

Do you  think this could be a problem? Run the scans in safe mode with system restore off. Also use   Ewido  if  it refuses to remove after all of this.

nittymcdubs

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »
ok, i took your recommended steps and it seems as if the virus is gone (ill have to jsut wait it out tho, its completely random), and the drive still doesnt read the DVDs. games, cds, and previously burned dvds still work. im completely clueless. oh also, ive checked the region and its set to 1 (north america) so i dont think thats a problem. continued help is appreciated

nittymcdubs

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 10:36:03 PM »
now my cds arent playing

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 10:41:21 PM »
It could just be a failing drive. How old is it?

nittymcdubs

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 11:47:08 PM »
brand spanking new, less than a month and a half old. its under warranty, but theres gotta be a cimpler solution

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 05:59:38 AM »
Try that drive on another machine to see where the problem is. If it is the drive you will  want to replace it ASAP.

Backdated

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 12:42:36 PM »
You urgently need to carry out in depth virus/malware scans as detailed here.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 04:44:56 PM »
The poster seems to have gone AWOL. Perhaps he contacted Dell and got a brand new drive. Perhaps he actually removed his infestation. We will never know.... ::)

bek

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 05:12:37 PM »
When you say you are trying to look or burn old dvd or cd are these movies that you have made from your camcorder?
If so I had the same problem but I can't remember what I did to resolve it! It was something to do with codec problems and I managed to use nero to upload and then edit via another software to then edit and burn to dvd?
Is this what you are trying to do?

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 06:42:55 PM »
The original poster has been gone over a month. I don't think he is coming back so we will never know.   ::)