Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB prob  (Read 6347 times)

lordvader781

Intermediate
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: USB prob
    « Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 08:12:47 PM »
    As I said before, it is unlikely, but possible.  A power surge has never happened to me, but a power failure has. What a mess it was. While none of the hardware appeared to be damaged, the operating system was a total disaster.  I lost sound, graphics, and all windows settings were screwed up.  Many files were corrupt as well.  I had to reformat the hard drive and start fresh.  

How can a power surge be possible?  Well, have you ever noticed how the lights dim when the air conditioner turns on?  What do you think happens when it turns off?  There is a sudden increase in power flowing through the house.  It lasts less than a second, but is noticeable.  This is avoidable with a surge protector.  Besides surges, static electricity can cause havoc on hardware when you are working on the inside of the computer.  It is always wise to ground yourself before touching anything.  For more on power surges and protectors: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector.htm
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 08:13:09 PM by lordvader781 »

yuggypete

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 03:41:52 AM »
    ok lord thanks for your time in helping this. i just learnt something new today lol. (power surge = zzz)

well, i'm bringing my whole PC to the dealer tommorrow for them to test my usb ports and find out the root of the prob. i'll post their comments when i get back.

thanks lordvader.

lordvader781

Intermediate
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 08:37:23 PM »
      Glad to have helped.  It'll be interesting to find out what the problem really is.  Hope it won't cost a fortune to fix.  It would be a real pain if you had to replace all the ports.