Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE 6 slowly loses connection then "hangs" up  (Read 4547 times)

AlaskaGuy

IE 6 slowly loses connection then "hangs" up
« on: April 17, 2006, 10:16:33 PM »
I have a Dell XPS stand-alone desktop with Widows 98 2nd edition and MS Office SBE.  I've always had DSL.  Last month I started losing my IE 6 connection - sometimes after 5 minutes - sometimes after 10 minutes, or sometimes never.  It starts by slowing down making connection until it hangs up with "Cannot find page" message.  I have to reboot to get it to connect again.  My e-mail Outlook program doesn't lose it's connection even though IE does. I've reset all IE security and other options to default.  I clean out the "temp" files and history regulary.  Plus Disc Cleanup and Defrag. I've replaced the DSL modem and reinstalled the DSL software.  I run the current version of Norton Anti-virus and check for updates daily.  I use Ad-Aware. I've scanned with Panda.  I use Registry Mechanic and BugDoc.  I use Zone Alarm firewall. Popup Stopper, Window Washer.  I've used the IE repair tool.   I install all MS updates.  All of my "tool" don't give me a clue to a problem but I suspsect it's in the browser.  I hadn't installed any new software when the problem started.  It seems like IE 6 had a bad day but learned to enjoy taunting me.

Can you make me smile?  I'd like my white hair to return to grey!  

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: IE 6 slowly loses connection then "hangs" up
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 10:38:47 PM »
It sounds like the connection is repaired when you restart, which is a sign that the computer isn't reading the connection properly... Here's a little thing to try... Turn off the computer, and unplug your DSL/Cable modem for 30 seconds. Plug it back in. Wait about 20 seconds and then power the computer back on. Sometimes the modem just needs to be reset. Give it a shot.

Flame

AlaskaGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 10:52:21 PM »
Thank you.  I've been doing that on a regular basis but it doens't seem to make a difference.  When I make the DSL connection when I turn on the computer, I get a brief messge that it's "updating parameters," briefly shows my IP address, then makes the connection.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:03:46 AM »
Let me ask you another question... Why are you running 98 SE on a new Dell XPS System?

Flame

AlaskaGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:39:34 AM »
Thanks again.  It's not a new XPS - it's an older one and Windows 98 2nd edition came with the unit.  I probably need a new computer but all I use it for is e-mail plus a lot of reserch on the Internet.  I'm retired and watching my pennies.  Your help makes me smile!

kartan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:41:35 AM »
Have you tried using a different browser and see if it behaves in the same manner? If it behaves in the same manner, either the DSL software or Microsoft Dialup networking is screwed up.

The other thing you could try is purchasing a cheap router (linksys is good), then the router will handle the connection and you'll be connecting as if on a LAN. I've found this is usually more reliable than the dialup type software that comes with DSL packages.

Good luck!

AlaskaGuy

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »
Kartan, you are my hero!  I downloaded Firefox but had the same problems.  I installed the DSL software from a new CD-ROM but still had the same problem.  I was a bit nervous about installing a router (total non-tech who can over cook boiling water).  I purchased an inexpensive Linksys router and their set-up CD was so easy to follow that I had the router up and running in 20 minutes.  IE is running screaming fast again.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 09:36:47 PM »
    Let me get this straight: Internet Explorer works fast on Windows 98? Holy cow! It's the sign of the apocalypse!!! :o
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."