Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Data Execution Prevention and Processor Usage  (Read 1817 times)

Oober_Noober

Data Execution Prevention and Processor Usage
« on: April 17, 2006, 07:37:35 PM »
Does anyone know how much processing power software Data Execution Prevention (DEP) in XP Pro SP2 takes up? Its set up as /NoExecute=optin, so its only checking 'essential Windows programs and services'. I'd like to know if there would be a noticeable increase in performance if I turned it completely off (all security concerns aside). I can't seem to find an article addressing this issue.

BTW, I don't have hardware DEP capabilities.

Thanks in advance.

--Oober

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Data Execution Prevention and Processor Usage
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 07:56:56 PM »
    I don't know for certain, but I doubt the increase in speed would be that noticeable. I mean, it just sits there until a script runs. Not very resource-consuming.

This is, as requested, security concerns aside. If it wasn't for that, I'd be ranting right now about how "it's not worth it" and basically doing a Senior Project's worth of essay-writing. ;)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Oober_Noober

Re: Data Execution Prevention and Processor Usage
    « Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:15:05 PM »
    This is, as requested, security concerns aside. If it wasn't for that, I'd be ranting right now about how "it's not worth it" and basically doing a Senior Project's worth of essay-writing. ;)

I dunno, I've never had DEP yark at me in my life and I've got a hardware firewall, no one ever emails me (plus I've only downloaded one email attachment in the last 9 years, seriously), and I'm relatively cautious about what I download. What would be nice is if I had a processor with the NX or XD bit on the chip. Then it would do all the memory frobbing on the hardware level. Time to start saving for that new Dell XPS...

Anyone need their lawn mowed?

--Oober

[highlight]Edit: Any links to correlative articles would be appreciated.[/highlight]
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 08:55:57 PM by Oober_Noober »