Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to Boot WIN95 in Safe Mode  (Read 4266 times)

Warthog

Unable to Boot WIN95 in Safe Mode
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:00:15 AM »
Installed new Epox Motherboard and AMD Athlon Processor. Formatted (FAT16) Primary Master "C" drive (Quantum Lightning HD). Attempted to reinstall WIN95 OEM "B" version. Reboot during final phase of installation resulted in following error messages. "Device IOS failed to Initialize. Windows protection Error. You must reboot your computer." Upon reboot, system enters Startup Menu. Selecting Safe Mode results in the same error message! I have tried all MS related/proposed solutions except installing the "AMD" fix and installing SP1. The latter can only be installed via Windows (not via an MS DOS prompt). It is a "Catch 22" situation! Does anyone know of another solution or if possible, how to install SP! and *.exe fixit  :help: file into WIN95 from floppies via an MS DOS prompt???

GX1_Man

Re: Unable to Boot WIN95 in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »
SP1 and Win95? That does not compute.  :-? The AMD fix will be required, and even that may not work depending on processor.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 07:54:53 PM by GX1_Man »

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:37:22 AM »
    Well... We need more info. Windows 95 was an OS for 1995, not for 2006. You won't be able to use the Athlon Processor... Windows 95 is very, very restrictive about processors/hardware (as any other OS). I am not sure you will be able to use it with a pentium II processor. Athlon? No way. He barely supported those old AMD and Cyrix processors (I forgot their names... :( ), from the same period as Pentium I and Pentium MMX.
    New Epox motherboard? How much RAM do you use? How big is the hdd? What video card? With your motherboard you should have some drivers. Have you used it? Although I suppose you couldn't... Because you have to be able to boot normally in Windows. We'll wait for more info.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 07:04:51 AM »
    And even if it does ever boot, you will not be able to find drivers for WIn95.  ;)

bartolo

video card improvement
    « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:37:16 AM »
    i have a fujitsu siemens v2020 laptop. the specs is 1.6GHz centrino processor and 512 RAM. is there any way to improve the video card to NVIDIA or ATI or the likes of GEFORCE?
    is there plug and play video card by the way one that can be attached to my laptop via USB?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 03:54:34 AM »
    Bartolo

It's considered poor form to hijack someone else's thread. Always better to start a new topic as this is a new issue. ;)

Generally laptops are NOT upgradable regarding video cards as the adapter is part of the motherboard. Check on the manufacturer's web site for this possibility, but the chances are slim. No USB video adapter is available that I am aware of.