Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: newbie question PLEASE READ!  (Read 5306 times)

richie blunt

newbie question PLEASE READ!
« on: August 25, 2004, 11:26:23 PM »
hi i have a question..... how do i get a large file (napster with over five hundred songs) from windows 98 to my new windows xp when all i have is the windows 98 hard drive>? i took the windows 98 hard drive and hooked it up to my new computer(xp) and the napster is still there but i can figure out how i would get the napster on my windows xp could someone help me

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: newbie question PLEASE READ!
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 11:45:27 PM »
    richie blunt.....Does your Xp machine see the hd with the napster files on it ?

let us know
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 05:43:12 AM »
    Your question does not make a whole lot of sense. Please tell us what it exactly is you wish to do and how.

richieblunt

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 05:21:36 PM »
    ok....i had a computer with win 98, i downloaded over five hundred songs with napster...the computer broke, so i saved the harddrive....i bought a new windows xp and i want to get the naspster with the songs off the win 98 hard drive to my windowz xp computer....i opened my computer and unhooked the windows xp hd and pluged in the windows 98 hard drive and saw that all the napster files were still there. my problem is getting the napster files from my the 98 hard drive to my windows xp hard drive.......thanks richie blunt

jonah

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 10:26:53 PM »
    Why move the Napster files? Just leave your old drive from the 98 PC in your new PC. It's always nice to have extra disk space. Also, you could clean off all the excess 98 stuff from the old drive.

P.S. I have an external HD that I store all my docs, pics, mp3s, etc. on, it's safer that way (somewhat). Nothing is truely safe.   :)
    OOPS!!!!!!!!!  ???
    I just saw this:
    i opened my computer and unhooked the windows xp hd and pluged in the windows 98 hard drive and saw that all the napster files were still there.

Take your 98 drive and set the jumper to CS (cable select) or slave and install it in your second HD bay. If the HD is in the new PC and readable the the file are already transfered (pPhysically). On second thought maybe keep the 98 drive as is the you can set for a dual boot.  ;D
    « Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 10:36:53 PM by jonah »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 04:41:11 AM »
    If you wish to transfer files from your older harddisk to the newer harddisk, you will have to set the newer harddisk to Master and the older harddisk to Slave.

Be certain that the Master harddisk has an operating system installed.

Related articles:

Master
    Slave

Hard Drive Help
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 04:41:30 AM by Raptor »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:56:07 PM »
    How long you been around computerhope-Dr.Raptor? :-?
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 10:02:52 PM »
    If I understand this right you want the napster program not just the songs,

If you cant run it off the drive its on under XP moving it wont help... your talking about moving a program instalation from one comp to another... sometimes you get lucky, the other 99% doesn't work...

Maybe im going the wrong direction
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 11:08:04 PM »
      No mate, you're just in the wrong time zone, check the the post dates. LOL

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
      « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 05:13:32 AM »
      No mate, you're just in the wrong time zone, check the the post dates. LOL

Sorry FB,I was just joking around with my Dr. didn't mean to pull up an old date to cause any conflict. :-?

WHERE YOU ARE AT! :-?

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Twilight Zone.

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call "The Twilight Zone".

WELCOME TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE DUDE! :-? ;D ;D ;D
      « Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 05:18:19 AM by street1 »
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
        « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 02:16:07 PM »
        If I understand this right you want the napster program not just the songs,

If you cant run it off the drive its on under XP moving it wont help... your talking about moving a program instalation from one comp to another... sometimes you get lucky, the other 99% doesn't work...

lol.. not making fun k just loling

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:49:33 PM »
        street's screwin with me again
        CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
        « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 05:09:08 PM »
        street's screwin with me again

I was just being pesky. ;D Your one of my friends on this site. :D

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 05:24:04 PM »
        You guys are good for each other.  ;)

Michael

Adviser
          « Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 06:08:36 AM »
          And the initial poster has missing again...