Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External HD Issue  (Read 1960 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
External HD Issue
« on: May 08, 2006, 03:29:14 PM »
Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me out here... My Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 External HD is having an issue... I was backing it up with Norton Ghost, and I noticed that the system was a bit buggy, so I told Ghost to Cancel the Operation when the backup was 3% complete... Well... Now, I can plug in the HD, and it makes the two tone sounds, and then I can't access it... It won't show-up in my computer or anything... I can see it in the Device Manager, which of course, says that it's working fine. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it (plug and play) and it still won't pick it up... Can someone please tell me how to access this drive again?

Flame

GX1_Man

Re: External HD Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »
Just because I always ask, was this drive formatted NTFS?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 03:48:28 PM »
Well, I think it comes stardard in FAT32, but it says that when you put XP on it, it HAS to go to NTFS... I backed up an exact image of my HD, so I don't know...

Flame

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 05:45:42 PM »
Well, Maxtor support just said to right-click on My Computer and select manage. After that, just reformat the HD. Only problem is, I have a few options here, and I'm not sure which I'm supposed to format... Attached to this message is a screenshot of what the Manage menu shows... Please tell me which I need to format if you know!  :-/

Flame

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 03:16:23 PM »
Ok, they told me it was the one that is 93.37 GB, so I'm formatting it right now... It's [timestamp=1147209361] so I'll write back when formatting completes... Slow process  :o

Flame

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »
Sorry for the very delayed response, but problem was solved! I guess when I cancelled the copying operation, it had erased some files and lost its configuration. Reformatting the drive seemed to fix it. Thanks to all that helped  ;D

Flame