Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Meaning of beep explanations.  (Read 3790 times)

Raptor

Meaning of beep explanations.
« on: August 29, 2004, 10:06:57 AM »
I am curious as to what these errors mean:

• DRAM refresh failure
  • Display/Retrace test failed
  • DRAM refresh failure

And possible solutions to these problems, if avaible?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 10:07:07 AM by Raptor »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Meaning of beep explanations.
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 06:37:49 PM »
    Raptor...........

1 Beep: DRAM refresh failure

Explanation: The system is having a problem accessing the system memory to refresh it. Refreshing is done on all system memory to keep its contents active.

Diagnosis: This code usually means a problem either with the system memory or with the motherboard itself.

Recommendation:

Troubleshoot the motherboard.
    Treat as an apparent memory failure.

hope this helps...
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 06:42:35 PM »
      Raptor

8 short: Display memory Read/Write test failure
      The motherboard cannot write to the frame buffer of your video card. Something is either wrong with the video card, with the video card memory, or the motherboard. Btw if the system continues to boot this is not unusual: this is not a stop error code.

Hope this answers your question.

dl65  ???
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 04:07:04 AM »
      Much obliged, Dl65.

The other users were very uncareful when opening their PC, leaving standby power on whilst removing and inserting different videocards.

The computer only had a monitor issue that would cause the monitor to flicker when accessing webpages and other Windows related things.

Now that they are done through it, it shows all these errors.

So far they have done:

Leaving standby power on whilst switching videocards. (They claim they did not, however, I caught them red handed.)

I have done for them to see if it would do any good:

Reset BIOS (Removed CMOS battery)
      Booted with only the onboard videocard (Even after resetting, a frequency out of range error showed)

Do you think they could have damaged the mainboard beyond repair? Would removing and using the different RAM slots work?

As for the Display memory Read/Write test failure

Even after resetting the BIOS and using only the onboard videocard it still gives the same problem.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 02:38:19 PM »
      The computer only had a monitor issue that would cause the monitor to flicker when accessing webpages and other Windows related things  raptor
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------what was the refresh rate on this monitor...some video cards are hot swapable?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 04:37:51 PM »
      The onboard videocard is now being used and the flickering still occurs.

Refresh rates of 75Hz and 85Hz have been tried.

No monitor drivers have been installed, but according to Windows XP, they are within the monitors capabilities.
      « Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 04:38:19 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 12:42:20 PM »

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 04:08:57 PM »
      Thank you Merlin, however, I donot think software will help resolve this issue. I have tried to calibrate the monitor but it was of no use.

The computer store repaired their PC, but they failed the mention the core of their problem: The flickering visual whenever accessing an Explorer window (Both Internet Explorer and Explorer)

The computer store put in the exact same videocard again because the onboard videocard gives a 'Frequency out of Range' error.

However, this is a tool I have been looking for. (Remember my request for such a program and you pointed me to the Huey tool?)