Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: using DOS across partitions ?  (Read 2239 times)

looknlearn

using DOS across partitions ?
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:34:31 AM »
 Can DOS be used to look at a directory in another partition? If so, how can I do this?  
 I have a P3 with a 20G C drive for o.s. and a 20G D drive for data files.  A few years ago I set up drive C with 3 partitions using Partition Magic.  2 partitions run Windows 98 and the other has Windows 2K.  I wanted internet activity on a separate partition from the programs I use for audio editing.  It looks like Partition Magic does not give "partitions" new drive letters.  
  Recently some files became altered in a Win 98 partition & I would like to use DOS in the healthy Win98 partition to look at files in the unhealthy Win 98 partition.  And maybe copy from one to the other.  I know - it sounds dangerous but there's a few things I'd like to try before I throw away the HD.      

Thanks,  
 Look N Learn  

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: using DOS across partitions ?
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 05:34:34 PM »
    It looks like Partition Magic does not give "partitions" new drive letters.

You can do this in Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Assign it a letter.

Recently some files became altered in a Win 98 partition & I would like to use DOS in the healthy Win98 partition to look at files in the unhealthy Win 98 partition.  And maybe copy from one to the other.  I know - it sounds dangerous but there's a few things I'd like to try before I throw away the HD.

You can't access it with Windows? It's worth a try. But, if you cannot access the drive in any way, you will need to save all the important files you can on the healthy Win98 partition, do a Restore (format, basically), reinstall Windows, put the important files back, reinstall programs, etc.. If it's only a damaged partition, you shouldn't have to get rid of the drive (assuming you can boot at all).

Good luck to you. 8-)
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 05:35:16 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."