Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Red cross icon and wired card’s MAC address disabl  (Read 2320 times)

zillah

Red cross icon and wired card’s MAC address disabl
« on: June 03, 2006, 08:54:19 AM »
I have got win2003 server laptop with 2 NIC cards :
1- Wired ( Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller)
2- Wireless (Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card)

At work (not at home) when I plugged the internet cable (I tried more than one cable, because I though the problem with the cable itself) to wired card , I still can see there is a red cross is being displayed on top of the icon

I tried more than one wall jack socket still with different cables (of course I am using the right cable straight through), I still can see there is a red cross is being displayed on top of the icon,,,,

Definitely all cables and all wall jack sockets are working because when I tried the same cable and the same wall jack socket on other PCs, they work.

The test that I did were :

i- I did test to check the wired card, I connected my laptop and another PC directly by using cross over cable, it worked (i.e. there is no red cross).

ii- I tried to assign static ip address at work (not home) still the same problem is going on.

iii- I did another test At home I tried to use the wired card (normally I used wireless card) , I have got no problem , (i.e when I plugged the cable there is no red cross on the NIC card, unlike at work).

Note:

A- With wireless I have got no problem to access the internet at work and at home

B- I do not think that the problem with DHCP server at work,,,,because it is only my laptop has got this problem, if the problem with DHCP server then it should be with all PCs and laptops at work.

Query
Is there any possibility that the administrator mistakenly disabled the wired card (by using MAC address identification) for my laptop from accessing the internet via wired card (not wireless, since it has got different MAC)?

Gizmo73

Intermediate

• We do only what we are meant to do
    Re: Red cross icon and wired card’s MAC address di
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »
    When was the last time your network card was working?
    What were you doing before it stopped working? Any loading of new drivers?
    Have you tried rolling back the driver?

Gizmo73

zillah

Re: Red cross icon and wired card’s MAC address di
    « Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 11:42:58 AM »
    When was the last time your network card was working?
    3 days back.

What were you doing before it stopped working? Any loading of new drivers?
    As far as I remembered I have not done any thing unusual, no drivers were loaded related to NIC crad.

Have you tried rolling back the driver?
    I have uninstalled it and installed it again,,,,how to do roll back ?, let me try this