Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which the Best O.S for Unix Platform???  (Read 3856 times)

tofy

Which the Best O.S for Unix Platform???
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:15:04 AM »
Hi All

I like to learn one O.S for Unix Platform , but I dont know which the best to choose  from the following?

REDHAT Enterprise Linux   -or-   Sun Solaris 10   -or-    HP-UX 11i.x Unix   -or-    Aix Ibm 5L Unix

Thanks

Best Regards

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Which the Best O.S for Unix Platform???
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:12:44 PM »
It really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to pay.  White Box Enterprise Linux is RHEL with all the non-open source bits removed and is free.  Solaris 10 is now free.  Solaris 10 is a true Unix; WBEL is a true Linux.  Take your pick.  There are many different opnions on the subject so, unless you havew a specific need that can only be fulfilled by one O/S or distribution, just pick one and start experimenting.

There are many many Linux distributions, some free, some not.  Go to DistroWatch to read about virtually all of them.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

tofy

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 02:25:52 PM »
ok dear thanks for information,
but i mean i need to know which a best for Technichal and Experince only not for cost and free or not,
so if i will choose linux i will choose REDHAT Enterprise Linux only

Thanks

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:06:48 PM »
Sorry, but you may as well ask which is the best make of car.  You will never find a single answer.  RHEL is good and used by many businesses.  There are RH certification programmes out there, so it's a good choice for professional development.  Or, you can just go pure Unix all the way, and choose Solaris.  Or choose one of the BSDs.

See, I can't stick to a single answer!
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

tofy

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:29:52 PM »
Thanks u Very much for advice.