Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Comma Separated Value (csv) File Creation  (Read 2015 times)

rbtr8r

Comma Separated Value (csv) File Creation
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:08:40 PM »
I am using Windows XP and would like to export my Juno (my emaol provider) addressbook to another email provider.  The new provider will only import a .csv file.  Can anyone tell me the precise steps to creat a .csv file from a Word 2000 .doc file?  

[email protected]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Comma Separated Value (csv) File Creation
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:30:28 PM »
    rbtr8r.....  Can you copy your word doc into excel ....then "save as"  CSV (MS-DOS)   that should do it .
    or possibly you could copy your address book , zip it and Email it to yourself at the other server.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 11:37:19 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 03:27:14 PM »
    If you don't have Excel, then here's the hard way:

In Word, create a file with the first line consisting solely of the names of your address book fields, eg:

"Name", "Telephone", "Address", "Birthdate"

Then each subsequent line contains the data, eg:

"Joe Bloggs", "123 456 789", "1 Acacia Avenue, Blanktown", "01/02/1950"
    "Jolene Blaggs", "789 456 123", "10 Irksome Way, Colon City", "02/03/1990"

etc.

It doesn't matter if a line of data  wraps onto the next line, so long as you don't break them up by pressing ENTER anywhere in the middle of a line.  Technical note: CSV fields are commonly delimited by inverted commas, and field ends denoted by comma or paragraph.

Having created this file, save it in Word as a .txt.  All formatting will be lost.  (CSV files do not contain formatting, only data.  Then, in Windows Explorer, change the .txt to .csv.  That's all you need to do to create the CSV file.

Your next problem is to find out what field names your new email provider is expecting.  They will need to correspond to the headings in your CSV file, unless the email provider has a very clever import facility that allows you to specify field mappings.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 03:38:31 PM »
    Alternatively, if you don't have Excel, but want a program to do the hard work for you, you can download >OpenOffice.org, the free office suite, which includes a spreadsheet package that can export to CSV.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 10:09:47 AM »
    Here's something that might be the solution if you don't have Excel: Dawn Address Book Converter

rbtr8r

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 07:53:43 AM »
    Thank you one and all for your suggestions.  I have Microsoft Excell in my PC and the process I went through, in detail, was as follows:  I copied my addressbook in one email supplier by highlighting all the entries, (for example, first name, last name, nickname, email address, phone number), right clicking on all the entries and then left clicking on Copy.  Then I went to Excell and pasted in everything I had copied.  I then adjusted the width of the colums to accomodate the entries and when I was sure that all was correct, I saved the document to my desktop as a .csv file.  I then went to the new emaol service provider and clicked on import and imported the file from my desktop.  Worked beautifully.