Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I cannot set my back drop, what does this mean?  (Read 6134 times)

doug

I cannot set my back drop, what does this mean?
« on: June 30, 2006, 02:21:36 PM »
I've scanned for viruses (NoAdware) and everything, but i still cant apply a back drop to my screen.  I'm affraid that this is a sign of something worse.  what can i do?  Thanks in advance, doug

rlprlp

Re: I cannot set my back drop, what does this mean
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:41:33 PM »
I can't help you, because I'm fairly new to computers.  But I can tell you this:  When the big boys (like GX1_Man or robpomeroy) read this, they're going to need much more information than you provided, such as (but not limited to): What kind of computer do you have?  What is your OS (XP, or other)?  You need to tell them as much as you can.  Good luck!  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 03:40:06 PM »
    doug ......
    i still cant apply a back drop to my screen.
    Are you refering to the desktop wallpaper ?
    What operating system are we using ?
    Is this something that has just started ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 05:33:32 PM »
    I can't help you, because I'm fairly new to computers.  But I can tell you this:  When the big boys (like GX1_Man or robpomeroy) read this, they're going to need much more information than you provided, such as (but not limited to): What kind of computer do you have?  What is your OS (XP, or other)?  You need to tell them as much as you can.  Good luck!  

rlprlp you are right on target!  ;)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 06:53:35 PM »
    he could have alteast posted this under the right OS sub forum.... then we would have some clue to what OS he has...

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 06:57:22 PM »
    Well, it's obviously Windows of some sort if No Adware ran on it. There is only one section for Windows.

No Adware is hardly a pearl

http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000023.html

How about Spybot as it works?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:58:09 PM by GX1_Man »

doug

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 11:08:32 PM »
    Ya its the desktop.  I have a Gateway Pentium 4 with Windows Xp home edition version 2002.  Sorry if i posted in the wrong forumn but i appreciate the help...Thanks, doug
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 11:09:50 PM by doug »

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 05:41:12 AM »
    Did this just happen and it used to work? Or is this something else? What happened prior to this? Can you do  a system restore to before this time, if it was recent? Have a read here as well:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

Did you look at the link about your No Adware program? What other protection is being used?
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 05:41:49 AM by GX1_Man »

doug

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
    Ya i read the link about the NoAdware.  That is the only protection that i'm running.  So your thinking that the scan mis identified and erased something that i needed.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »
    We need to make sure the system is squeaky clean before we proceed.  Did you run Ewido? WHat kind of virus protection do you have?

How about downloading Hijack This and posting your log file, It will take several posts to get it all. One of our resident experts will be along to look at it for you.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
    « Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:55:40 AM by GX1_Man »

fatali

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 10:56:59 AM »
    Three questions:

1) Do you know if you had any viruses on your system when this happend?
    2) When you do into Display Properties and go to the Desktop tab, is the list of background grayed out, meaning you can't select them?
    3) Have you tried setting the desktop background in another way, like opening an image in Paint and using it to set the background or opening an image and right clicking on it and then choosing "Set as Desktop Background"?

I recently helped someone who had this very same problem. He was unable to set the background and andswered Yes to those 3 questions so I may be able to help.
    « Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 10:57:22 AM by fatali »

fatali

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 03:12:19 PM »
    Alright, I'm just going to post the solution I have the other person, see if it works for you.

1) Go to Run and type regedit
    2) First, back up everything. Go to File > Export. Name it, make sure the Export Range is set to all and then save to desktop.
    3) Navigate to the following registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MicrosoftWindows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    4) Look at the list of the folders... if there is an entry named active desktop and one named system, delete them. If Explorer is the only entry, then let us know as this solution will not work.
    5) Close Regedit.
    6) Try to change your desktop background.
    7) If your background changes, but your desktop icons all have a color border around them (mostly around the text) then in the Desktop Tab in Display settings, click Customize Desktop.
    8) Go to the Web tab
    9) If Lock Desktop Items is checked, Uncheck it. click Apply/Ok and that should fix your problem.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 03:39:23 PM »
    NOTE: Before you even think about editing the registry back up your file as this could definitely hose your whole installation if something goes wrong.  ;)

fatali

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »
    I know. That's why step 2 is how to back up the registry.

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 06:04:57 PM »
    That cannot be stressed enough when a novice is playing in there.  ;)