Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Update  (Read 5818 times)

JohnB

Windows Update
« on: September 04, 2004, 11:24:53 PM »
Hi :)
I run Windows Me and I am going to reformat my hard drive.  I'm backing everything up that's important.  It's been more than two years since I've done this.  I'd like to know if there is any way I can back up all of the Windows Security Updates I've done so I don't have to spend hours redownloading them.  Is there a folder that they are all in?  Thanks to all responders in advance! :D
                         John B.

Raptor

Re: Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 04:12:18 AM »
The Service Packs can be ordered on a CD. They contain all the necessary hotfixes that have been released.

I suggest you search or contact http://www.microsoft.com to see how you can obtain your CD with Service Pack 1. (SP1)]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 04:27:29 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 02:27:59 PM »
If it was my pc i wont not update anything imho... and save diskspace and hassle...but there is  not an m$oft update disk containing win9x updates unless you  have save them to disk<cd/rw burnt them> you will have no option but to go though the process of downloading them again? you can do this  which saves them locate the c:\windows\options\cab folders...setup icon..click that. the will re-install winme.but if you have use a cleaner it may have taken some of the files that belong to m$oft updates...sticky..wicket...?you choice..i guess....and as always m$oft have moved on ditching win9x users...next will be win2k/winxp....watch this space ()
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 02:31:14 PM by merlin_2 »

Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 10:10:57 AM »
Hi :)
I run Windows Me and I am going to reformat my hard drive.  I'm backing everything up that's important.  It's been more than two years since I've done this.  I'd like to know if there is any way I can back up all of the Windows Security Updates I've done so I don't have to spend hours redownloading them.  Is there a folder that they are all in?  Thanks to all responders in advance!       John B.

Until recently there was a Free Windows Security update CD available. I have one. This is the easiest way to update right up to February this year.

The CD will update Winodws 98, ME, 2000 and XP.

So if you know someone locally who has one, then I would ask for a loan of one.

The CDs are language specific.

Is your drive partitioned and do you ... really ... need to reformat?

BTW, just clicking setup.exe can re-install ME on top of itself, but there is a danger of reverting to IE5·5 if the IE5·5 Cabinet folder is still on the Hard-Drive which can cause all sorts of problems, and there is only a 50/50 change of either success or failure.

ALL Windows Operating Systems should always be FULLY updated.

Updating your Operating System is just as important as updating your anti-virus.

When you complete your installation to your liking you should make a drive image, on CDRs, to restore from. Then in future you can just format c: and restore from them.

I use a 3·0Gb drive C: on an 80Gb Maxtor Diamondmax drive. (8Mb drive-cache, 7,200 rev/min.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 10:12:02 AM by Mac »