Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video card  (Read 10957 times)

jnmartin

video card
« on: July 06, 2006, 08:58:35 PM »
 :)  --  just a question please - I want to upgrade my video card - how do I know what one to get ?  ty

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: video card
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:33:12 PM »
What do you have now?  What types of slots (AGP, PCI, PCI Express) does your computer have?  What are other specs (processor, RAM, etc.)?  Give some idea what you mainly use your computer for.  Why do you want to upgrade?

jnmartin

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 06:43:41 AM »
Thank You for responding -- I play games on line and my pc keeps hesitating -- I've cleaned all temps - cookies - added spybot -- checked for driver upgrades -- my PC is a Pentiom 4 - 2 ghz - 512 ram - a dell - I've also chec ked my incoming and outgoing speeds - both are excellant -- the video card I have came with the PC 2/3 years ago -- it is a dell 1905FP (analog)  NVIDEA GeForce 2 MX -- I think I can be walked thru installing a new one - I just don't know how to find out the one I need

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »
    I'm sure in that PC you'd Have an AGP port mostlikley an 8x (You need to check before you buy any thing)

Nvidia have only one Top End card that will still Run on an AGP slot and its the Geforce 7800-AGP (Of Course this is the most Expensive one you can get)

Now if you don't want to spend Stupid money. you should look at getting a Card from last Years Range's

An ATI Raedon 9000 - 9900
    Or a Nvidia Gefroce 6000 - 6900

There is a pretty wide Price Range to chose from, but since the Cards are getting a big dated now , it would be best to get one for about 200-300 Dollars. you could by a cheaper one , its all down to preference.

You could do with more Ram as well
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

jnmartin

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 07:19:03 AM »
    That's a lot of $$$$ for a video card for me -- is it  possible that ram would fix my problem ?

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 07:53:05 AM »
      ok maybe that is a bit Expensive, you could get one for about 100 that will be OK , but you need a new Vidcard , i had a geforce 2MX it was a great card but Ive had 4 since then and i don't upgrade very often.

If i were you id look at getting a ATI 9200 or a Nvidia 6200
      Make sure its AGP and get the Best you can Afford

But Video Cards are Expensive , when i got the Geforce 2 it Was Selling for 256 Pounds (Thats Saying some thing Pounds don't Exist any more)
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

jnmartin

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 07:56:59 AM »
      OK -- that looks good to me -- I appreciate your help -- I'll find one of those - and I may be back for installing help -- ty ty --- hagd

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 09:47:40 AM »
      Did we EVER decide what slots are physically in that computer so that he doesn't spend a lot of money and get the wrong thing?

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 09:49:26 AM »
      Did we EVER decide what slots are physically in that computer so that he doesn't spend a lot of money and get the wrong thing?

jnmartin

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »
      I have the book here - can you tell me what to tell you ?

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »
      What is the computer or motherboard make/model? You need to find out what kind of slots are on the motherboard for video. You could also look in there but the specific motherboard will be needed to know all appropriate details.

If it is a Dell, post the service tag, found on the case and in the BIOS screen (F2 at boot up). The model number will be there also. The Service tag is th emost helpful.
      « Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:44:34 AM by GX1_Man »

jnmartin

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 11:02:07 AM »
      It is a Dell demension 4400 -- Service Tag 9PB9D11 -- 4 PCI card connectors (PCI slot 1-PCI slo) --- In system devices - what do you need?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 12:54:23 PM »
      It is a Dell demension 4400 -- Service Tag 9PB9D11 -- 4 PCI card connectors (PCI slot 1-PCI slo) --- In system devices - what do you need?

You have an 8x AGP slot beside those PCI, so you  can use a 4x or 8x card. DOn't expect spectacular results, but it should be usable IF the power supply can handle it. It's only 250 watts so a lot of what has been suggested here is excessive. If you want a gaming machine get one. If you don't need to run the latest games this will be fine.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/specs.htm#1101572
      « Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:55:00 PM by GX1_Man »

jnmartin

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 12:59:11 PM »
      I don't play super games - I'm a 65 yr old playing cards and etc on pogo.com -- so the nvidia 6200 will work ? and should that be a DDR? --

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »
      If you are not a gamer, why do you want a different card? WHat are you specifically not able to do? When you start using those high wattage cards you will get into trouble. That was my point. "If it ain't broke...."