Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory Issue  (Read 3433 times)

Medicineman300

Memory Issue
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:48:31 AM »
When i first got my comp about a year ago i bought another memory stick to go along with it that the suppliers said they would put in. However, after a few months, a new hard drive, and a couple problems later some technicians found the extra mem stick halfway in its slot (no clue why). So i took the liberty of inserting it properly into my computer. A step seems to be missing though as when i turn on my computer now one of the first screens that comes up is a warning that looks like this:

"Maximum memory performance is achieved with matched DIMMs. The installed amount of memory in Channel A is not equal to the amount in Channel B. Maximum memroy is achieved with equal amounts in each channel. Press any key..."

Any clue as to what to do now to get the full memory i paid for without having to take my comp in? Thanks.

homer

Expert
    Re: Memory Issue
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 02:16:18 AM »
    by reading ur error message, it seems as tho the 2 RAM sticks are not the same memory size. u didnt get this message before because u didnt have it correctly inserted and i guess the comp only found 1 stick. u might wanna check if both the sticks are actually the same size (memory-wise)

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 06:56:26 AM »
    We would need to know details about the machine and each RAM module. After you post that we can comment.

Medicineman300

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 10:36:31 AM »
    Dont know which machine details you need but its a Sony VAIO Intel Pentium 4 with 3.2GHz. 1GB of ram. BIOS is AT/AT compatible (if you need to know that-i dont even know what that means).
    I opened up my comp and looked at the memory sticks and found 3 in there (forgot i added one i got from another computer at one time) 2 of the sticks were samsung 256mb DDR (if you need more info on them i can give all the other gibberish labeled on the stick) and the 3rd one that i added was a Kingston KVR which i took out just now in case that was causeing trouble. Memory shot down to 512mb after that.

Recap: Now i have 2 samsung 256 DDR in my machine which is running at 512 mb of RAM. I have a Kingston KVR sitting in my lap. I will try to restart my comp now and see if warning message changed...

Medicineman300

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 10:41:34 AM »
    Got new message where i just says Max Memory Performace is achieved with matched DIMMs.
    Just thought id mention that both messages (the one i got before and the one im getting now) both say:

"DDR-400 --> Operating in Single Channel Memore Mode"
    Do i need to operate in a different mode?

Medicineman300

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 11:17:24 AM »
    Another update...Reinsterted to Kingston to the computer and somehow the error message no longer appears and im back up to 1gb of RAM.  :-? No clue why but i guess all the moving around of the mem sticks solved whatever problem there was. I guess max memory performance is now achieved.
    Thanks all, I hope the problem is solved.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 11:28:11 AM »
    Sometimes the ends can get tarnished and just the friction of removing and reinserting can resolve it. You got a cheap fix!  ;)