Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File options folder?  Reinstalling Windows XP  (Read 6978 times)

Caitlin

File options folder?  Reinstalling Windows XP
« on: September 06, 2004, 03:27:12 PM »
I posted about this a month or so ago and am still having problems so I thought I'd try again.

Because of pop-up problems, I downloaded Spybot.  After running the program for the first time and destroying the "contaminated" files, I turned my computer off.

When I turned it on again the next day and tried to run the programs on my desktop the following warning came up:

This happens with EVERY program, including Spybot.  The same warning comes up when I tried to remove the program and I cannot add any programs at all now.

I cannot go in and run the disk defrag or anything.  I can run Internet Explorer.  And other programs like Photoshop or Microsoft Word will work if I open files already saved on my computer using those programs.

Today I decided I would just reinstall Windows XP to see if that worked.  However my computer will not let me run the XP CD-Rom at all.  Is there another way to do this?  I tried uninstalling XP in Safe Mode but the same warning comes up there too.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: File options folder?  Reinstalling Windows XP
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 03:39:07 PM »
    Caitlin.......Start up you pc in safe mode.......when started .....click start / control panel / then chose add/delete programs .......scroll down to SpyBot search and destroy and click on remove .....that should remove it .
    BUT.......Spybot creates a backup so if you remove something you shouldnt have........have you tried opening spybot and use the recover option ?
    XP is not designed to be removed .........

let us know

dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 03:42:08 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

Re: File options folder?  Reinstalling Window
    « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 03:44:18 PM »
    If you wish to format your computer you will have to set your CD-ROM drive as your first boot device. From there, you enter the Windows XP CD and press a key on start up. (It will notify you when to press the key)

Once you are there, you can install Windows XP. Before it allows you to, it will notify you that there are partitions/hard disks present that are not formatted. It will allow you to format using NTFS.

But before you do that,

Read through the help file that came with Spybot S&D (Assuming it still functions) and find a way to restore the files it deleted. (If it created backups.)

Did you tamper with the configuration before scanning? I donot believe Spybot S&D would remove important files.

I recommend that you scan for viruses and trojans as well.

This virus scanner is web based; Trend Micro - Free online virus scan and may work on your system.

Caitlin

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 03:44:31 PM »
    I can't do either of those things because that same warning comes up.  It won't let me Add/Remove in Safe Mode either.   :-/

Caitlin

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 03:49:07 PM »
    Raptor-
    How do I set the CD-Rom as the first boot device?

And nothing of Spybot's works now, unfortunately.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 05:06:22 AM »
    Did you attempt to scan for viruses first using Micro Trend? It does not have to be installed.

You can set your CD-ROM as the first boot device by going into the BIOS during bootup.

Read these articles:

BIOS

Computer BIOS information and help

How to enter the BIOS or CMOS setup.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 01:02:48 PM »
    go in safe mode f8 keep tapping on boot and chose the last good config....or going into safe mode type msconfig in the run box ...startup folder and disable spybot...

Caitlin

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 09:37:07 PM »
    Raptor-

I ran the scan and it came up with some Trojans.  The site said to "delete" them, so I did that.

I went into BIOS and then repaired Windows XP but only to reboot and come up with the exact same problems.

As I was repairing, the following message kept popping up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/tiny_dancer83/openfile.jpg

Not with that exact program, but with a LOT of the ones running on my computer.  I'm assuming this has to do with the File Options problem as well.

I just canceled all of the warnings because it wouldn't allow me to open them in any program.  It went ahead and repaired XP though, even through all of these warnings.  Obviously it didn't repair it though or I wouldn't be having the same problems.

Is there anyway just to wipe out XP?  Like go back to how it was when I got the computer.  XP was loaded on it, of course.

I almost reinstalled it but I couldn't remember what partition I needed to use.  It's been a loooong time since I've done anything with installing operating systems.

If you have any advice or ideas, that would be great.  Thank you!

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 03:15:20 AM »
    I went into BIOS and then repaired Windows XP but only to reboot and come up with the exact same problems.

You cannot repair your operating system from your BIOS.

Is there anyway just to wipe out XP?  Like go back to how it was when I got the computer.  XP was loaded on it, of course.

Set your CD-ROM to the first boot device (Do that in the BIOS) then use the Windows XP CD-ROM as boot CD and say you wish to install it, from there it will prompt you there are harddrives with data on them that can be formatted before continuing