Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player Freezes  (Read 2858 times)

poni1973

Windows Media Player Freezes
« on: July 17, 2006, 06:58:14 AM »
I have Windows 98SE, with a Pentium II processor(266MHz), and a Windows Media Player 9,the highest one I can have. The WMP9 use to work great, but recently it started freezing up right after I open it. In the device options I have two CD-ROMS, F is just a player, but G is a CD-RW, and the CD-ROm I burn my CD'S on. Now when I click the speaker icon and press properties, the property box gets a red square in it,it doesn't show me anything and then it freezes up completely. CONT/ALT/DELETE doesn't respond. I have to reset/restart everytime. I have removed WMP9 and reinstalled it twice, without any luck. Can someone help me, please? Or am I doomed to be without my music until I buy a completely new computer? Thanx. poni  

GX1_Man

Re: Windows Media Player Freezes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 04:06:09 PM »
Based on this post and the others you have made, may I suggest a fresh reinstall of Windows 98 to solve all of these, and no doubt more, problems? I suspect these are all related in some fashion. Do you have a real Windows CD?

poni1973

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:10:07 PM »
Hi GX1_Man, I've heard so many great things about you, nice to meet you!  Even though I have just reinstalled Windows 98, (last Wednesday), it would seem to make the most sense that everything IS connected. And since the CD I used was not a REAL Windows CD, it makes even more sense. When I install the "REAL THING", do I need to uninstall or remove any or all of the programs, before I begin the setup?  Thank you for your advice.  poni

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:27:27 PM »
Hi GX1_Man, I've heard so many great things about you, nice to meet you!

Whoah, I must be nationwide!  ;D

If you get a bootable Win98 CD that is all you need. If not you can get a free bootdisk at www.bootdisk.com. When you install you should format the drive (blank everything out!) and reinstall everything.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221829

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=14700253

Let us know what help you need.