Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Security Center Notices  (Read 4247 times)

rlprlp

Windows Security Center Notices
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:15:45 AM »
Well, I went ahead and tried Trend-Micro again on my HP Pavilion a1220n with XP home.  Using the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall Norton AV 2005, it seems to be working this time.  (You can see my other post in this category:  "Want to demo Trend-Micro...again").  I have removed all traces of Symantec that I could find, including reg entries, and I even found a Symantec service that I disabled.  However, the Windows Security Center did not change from "Windows has found Norton is up and running..." (not verbatim) to "Windows has found Trend-Micro...".  Instead, it now says: "Windows has found MORE THAN ONE AV, and at least one is up and running..." (again, not verbatim).  Should I be concerned about this, or should I just ignore it?  By the way, my Zone Alarm is recognizing the Trend-Micro as being active and current.  Again, the Trend-Micro seems to be working well.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thank you.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 06:20:25 AM by rlprlp »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows Security Center Notices
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 08:54:21 AM »
Must still be some remnants of Norton AV lingering in your registry.  You might try CCleaner.  If that doesn't get rid of it, try a more aggressive registry cleaner.  A free one I've used is Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.  

rlprlp

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 05:29:37 PM »
Used them both, soybean.  Thanks for the tip, though.  You couldn't have known, and I appreciate your time!  

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 09:31:07 PM »
Read through this forum thread if you haven't already; is may be worth your time:
http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152742462

rlprlp

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 10:31:50 AM »
Thanks again, but... something went terribly wrong.  I'm done with this.  Leaving well enough alone.  Am just going to keep Norton.  

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 07:22:24 AM »
Thanks again, but... something went terribly wrong.  I'm done with this.  Leaving well enough alone.  Am just going to keep Norton.  

I guess they win then...too bad.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rlprlp

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 02:46:36 PM »
It is too bad.  But sometimes we have to remember our priorities.  I don't have hour after hour to sit here in front of this computer trying to "debug" (is that the right word?) it.  By the way, does anyone know which malware program completely deletes any access to the disc drive, and "erases" (nothing but a white window) system restore?  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 12:35:55 PM »
    rlprlp..... You might want to run a scan with hijackthis and post the logfile here , it may reveal the intruder .
    get hijackthis at ..... http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/HijackThis.shtml

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.