Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot Trouble...  (Read 2320 times)

stryphe

Boot Trouble...
« on: July 24, 2006, 04:18:45 PM »
Hello all.  

I recently came down with a common boot problem...  Every time I try to turn my computer on it says WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt or missing and how I can attempt to fix the problem.  I have a Windows XP disk, it's an upgrade disk with SP2 on it.  The Windows that my computer currently has is one from 4 to 5 years ago and doesn't have SP2.  So I put in my disk, and I try to boot the Recovery Console, everything's going according to planned, and then it asks me which Windows system I would like to log onto for the Recovery Console.  I choose the only available option, 1, and it just freezes after that..  It won't do anything.  After this, I tried just doing a clean installation.  After I press F8 to show that I agree with everything, it goes to "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows" and just sits there.  I have no idea what to do at this point, so if anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Anthony

GX1_Man

Re: Boot Trouble...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:34:35 PM »
Is it a real WIndows CD? With a different version (SP) you may not be able to do a repair install, but give it a try:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

This is not done through the recovery console, but from the CD itself.

stryphe

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 04:29:04 PM »
Yes, it's a Windows XP SP 2 upgrade disk, and the repair install is not an option.  As soon as I press F8, it goes straight to "searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows" and freezes.  Do I have any other options?  I heard something about partitioning something or something like that and I didn't really understand it, and I heard about integrating a disk or something like that.  I have an older version of Windows XP (it's from 2001), and the disk I have is an upgrade for SP2, so I guess that's why.  I just need a solution that will work, I'm tired of searching for solutions lol...  So can someone please post something that will for sure work and fix this problem?  Thanks.  Sorry, it's just that I've been trying to fix this problem forever, and I'm so close now and it's really frustrating lol.

Thank you so much,
Anthony

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »
How about backing up your data and then just reinstalling Windows? It would take a while, but in that 3+ hour period, you will have time to think how great Windows is!

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515

A drive image program would be a great ide for about $30 when you get it reinstalled. A complete restore takes just a few minutes, so you won't have to endure this gried again.

stryphe

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:12:54 AM »
Okay, thanks.  So what would I do after I get onto Linux to reinstall windows?  Thank you!

-Anthony

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 04:03:50 AM »
Linux is for backing up the data (for now). Then you can use your Windows CD to reinstall.

johnchain

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 02:10:47 PM »
What program do you recommend for backing up the windows data on the primary partition from the linux partition? I used partition magic to install space for linux, but I'm not sure what a good program for linux does the same actions in Partition Magic.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 03:41:38 PM »
The Linux Livce CD does not create a Linux partition. It runs entirely from the CDROM. (You don't even need a hard drive in a machine for it to dunction!) You can backup however you would otherwise. If you have a CD and a CDRW you are set!