Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dial up problem  (Read 4543 times)

boho61

dial up problem
« on: August 03, 2006, 03:52:50 PM »
my computer's dialup knocks me off and error messages me that challenge handshake authentication protocol is why.HOW DO I FIX?         Chuck

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: dial up problem
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 03:58:27 PM »
CHAP refers to authentication - checking your username and password.  Are you just not managing to connect at all?  Have you verified your username and password are correct?  Have you spoken to your ISP?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

boho61

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:20:19 PM »
reinstalled windows98se and it reverted back to prevous owner(computer was bought at garage sale but windows98 disc is mine)how do i get old regestered owner off and me on ? Thanks  Chuck

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »
Before you install it format the drive with the Win98 boot disk.

boho61

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 10:50:03 AM »
Thank you for the response.I'll try that and let you know.I've never tried to fix anything in the computer,only download stuff.I'm using my spare machine and it's slow.Thanks again     Chuck

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 03:10:12 PM »
So it's an an original load of Win98 from how many years ago? It might be time for a good format and reinstall to solve all the little Windows problems that build up over time.  ;)

boho61

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:19:27 PM »
Well I tried to format but hit a brick wall. I typed in format c: \s and got back parameter format not correct.Then format c:  /s  and got invalid drive specifition.Then I tried formatc:/s no good .So what am I doing wrong? Please spell it out so a moron like me could understand.  Thanks      Chuck

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
You have toboot from a floppy with a Windows bootdisk. You can not format a drive you are currently using.

www.bootdisk.com if you don't have one, or use Add and Remove Programs and create a startup disk.

boot with the floppy and you will get A:>

type in

format c:/u/s             and press enter

then type in e:setup   and press enter

Off you go.

(If your CD drive is assigned another letter use that instead of e. Watch the screen)

boho61

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 10:54:23 AM »
Well I finally got to the next screen and it said, INSUFFICIENT MEMORY. I guess thats it for this computer. Thanks for all the help. This is a great service  Chuck

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 03:19:01 PM »
Oh this is going to be a tedious HIMEM.SYS problem.  You may need to edit the CONFIG.SYS on the boot disk.  Could you please post the current contents of the CONFIG.SYS file?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »
That would be :

type a:\config.sys      and press Enter

boho61

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 08:41:10 PM »
I'm not sure if I did it right but if you meant to go from the A prompt and type config.sys I get CDR 101 not reading drive E. I'm using the start up disc to get to the A prompt.As I said I'm really a novice so spell it out and be patient please     Chuck

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 08:43:42 PM »
This is a floppy disk you are booting with? Take out the CD as it is not necessary for this part of the test.

When the machine boots, you should see:

A:>

type exactly:

type a:\config.sys

and press Enter

boho61

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 09:10:28 PM »
I read the massage again,and maybe you meant this.                                      MENUDE fault=cd,30                                                                                     CD                                                                                                              device=himen.sys/testmen off                                                                       device=oakcdrm.sys /D:mscd001                                                                  device=btdosm.sys                                                                                      device=flashpt.sys                                                                                       device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd011                                                                   device=aspi2dos.sys                                                                                     device=aspi8dos.sys                                                                                     device=aspi4dos.sys                                                                                     device=aspi8dos.sys                                                                                     device=aspi.sys/D:mscd011   last line    NOCD device=himen.sys/testmen off

boho61

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 09:22:48 PM »
typed exactly a:\config.sys  go back  bad command or file name   Chuck