Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Raid 0 problem  (Read 2527 times)

ninjafats

Raid 0 problem
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:18:11 PM »
My computer might have a virus or maybe some sort of window problem. It decides every so often to change partition information. The first time it happened, I had another harddrive just like it to copy the info from, at it started to work again. This time it happened to my raid drive! I have no idea what the information should be in the window because I have no other references. I get these errors from the two drives in norton partition info"

Disk 4:
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  0  00      0    1    1  07  976784129    0    1        63 976784067
Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
  ucEndCylinder (976784129) must be less than 1.
Error #116: Starting sector of partition is inconsistent.
  ulStartSect = 63
  Begin C,H,S = 1
Error #110: Number of sectors in partition is inconsistent.
  ucSectors   = 976784067
  end - begin = 976784129

disk 5:
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  0  00      0    1    1  07  60801  254   63        63 976784067
Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
  ucEndCylinder (60801) must be less than 30401.

I tried to mess around with disk 4 to make it like disk 5, as it was filled with nothing but 0's (like my previous failed drive). This didn't work. I am hoping someone can tell me the information I need to fill out the partition editor info, or to recover my raid 0 set completely. Thank you for you help. If any other system information is needed, let me know.

Sincerely,
Ninjafats

additional info: it is a SATA softraid set, Sis mobo, and windows xp

squirrel

Re: Raid 0 problem
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:19:18 PM »
i am assuming this is a server?

ninjafats

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 01:28:28 PM »
No, it isn't.

I am a audio engineer and use a Raid0 setup to allow me to do large 24bit multitrack mixing sessions, It also boosts my sampler's abilities. Also, it is XP pro, not home, if that would change anything.

Though most people would think it was a server to look at it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 01:38:17 PM by ninjafats »

ninjafats

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 10:09:55 AM »
I took it to a shop to get it fixed....payed the man, got it back, little changed. I still can't get to my harddrive. Please, if anyone knows how to get data off a broken raid0 array, let me know. Also, I don't know for sure if it is a softraid instead of a hardraid. I thought I knew, now I am not so sure.

N

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 12:19:46 PM »
I'd call the guy back if you paid your cash and it didn't get resolved. Did he claim he had fixed the problem? What did he say the issue was?

ninjafats

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »
It was $20 just to look, so he told me in advance that it would cost that much either way. He said he had got the drive(s) to work. I am hesitant to take it back there, and am even worried that he may have messed things up further. Who knows. My one drive is showing 0mb capacity, is there any solution for that? I ran WD disc diagnostic and it came back with nothing wrong, so it isn't dead! (hurray, I guess) I found a program that will recover a raid0 partition, but since it sees the one drive as 0mb capacity, it won't work!!! Any help would be appreciated. The dude who took my 20 bucks says I should reinstall windows.... isn't that only for people who can't fix problems? I only reinstall as a last effort, and I don't even know if it would FIX this situation! Well, it may come to it if I can't fix this 0mb capacity thing. I can't take it out and test it in another computer, since none of my other computers have raid or sata hardware. Bios sees it as its full amount, as does the diagnostic program (windows and norton do not). Just for the heck of it, I am currently running a check on the other drive out of the array, since I have no clue what I am looking for/doing, it doesn't hurt to try everything sometimes (As long as it isn't destructive).

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 11:49:44 PM »
The reason I would never even consider RAID is that a hardware failure can be disastrous.

If you can reload Windows (and I'm not sure you easily can -  that depends on the  hardware) then I would do so. I  don't  feel a reinstall is a sign of failure. Sometimes it can be a lot quicker than trying to fix a FUBAR'ed installation, and is much more likely to work. Others like to try to cobble together a patch, but....

ninjafats

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 01:10:12 PM »
I wouldnt' hesitate to reinstall windows to fix the problem, but I really don't think that is the issue. I didn't like the failure issue with raid0 to begin with, but i needed the space and read speed. In retrospect, I should have made a mirror, but I don't know if that would have fixed the problem. I have the feeling that it was a virus, as it seems to be a partition problem, not a HDD problem. I ran the WD diagnostic program and everything came up clean, unfortunately, this meant that WD couldn't officially help me, as "it wasn't a problem with their hardware"...jerks. If I redo the MBR that would essencially mess up any chances of recovering my raid, wouldn't it? I don't really know if it would help. I also thought of using a partition repair program, but I dont' think they are designed for raid. The other reason I am hesistant to reinstall windows is that it may not read my raid then, since it is possible software (with drivers needed)..I'm not sure how that works, but then again, it isn't really reading my raid now. Thanks for help, any more would be great, especially if anyone knows how to fix that 0Mb capacity issue.