Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Urrrrgggghhh !!!  (Read 2957 times)

zmoustache

Urrrrgggghhh !!!
« on: August 11, 2006, 08:55:16 PM »
I'm having some "ISSUES" with trying to install a PCI Pny GeForce FX5200 256MB card.
The box that it's going into is an eMachine T1150. It's got an Intel Celeron 1.30 Ghz with Intel 810e Chipset.
When I install the card the monitor is usually blank on boot or right after the XP Windows Screen...then the monitor will shut down (green light to yellow)
In the bios I have tried to set the the video PCI and nothing happens (default is AGP, but the boards has no AGP Slot ?? )
When I boot up with the mother board video, everything comes up as it should. In device manager I can see that both are installed (Default & Geforce)

What am I doing wrong, in that I can't get the Geforce to function at all ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Z

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Urrrrgggghhh !!!
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 05:40:43 AM »
    I'm not too hardware savvy, so hopefully one of the others might offer better help, but look at the following:

1. Does your eMachine allow you to put it in? Some brand names don't like you putting in hardware made by others.
    2. Consider the graphics card itself could be faultly. When handling, did you take anti-static electricity precautions? Try the graphics card in another computer, if you can.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 07:48:26 AM »
    How many PCI slots do you have?  Which one did you install the video card in?

zmoustache

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:39:07 AM »
    I would imagine that I could add the card to the eMachine box, I have an email to them, but have not gotten a response yet.
    I believe that there are 4 PCI slots (Friends computer, don't have it in front of me) and the card is in the last slot

sneakers

Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:25:57 AM »
      This machines has on board video, is there a disable onboard video option in bios. If so this could be your problem, also note that if there was not a memory upgrade the video card minimum requirement is 128 mb
      below is the 2 links to these products if that will help.

http://www.pny.com/products/verto/value/5200pci.asp
      http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T-Series&model=T1150
      Case: Logisys Clear Acrylic - CPU: AMD Athlon FX-62 With HyperTransport Technology - RAM: 2GB  - Power Supply: 650 Watt SLI ready - Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe  - Graphics Cards: Geforce 7900 GT  - HDD: 2 - 36 GB Raptors     160

zmoustache

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »
      There is no onboard video option in the bios, only PCI and AGP (Default)
      The computer has 128 MB RAM...I'll try to upgrade that asap

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
      I would imagine that I could add the card to the eMachine box, I have an email to them, but have not gotten a response yet.
      I believe that there are 4 PCI slots (Friends computer, don't have it in front of me) and the card is in the last slot
      By "last", I presume you mean the bottom slot.  Some computer are slot-sensitive for PCI video cards.  Try installing the video card in the top slot.  If that slot already has something in it such as a sound card, put it in a different slot so that the top slot is available for the video card.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 11:11:45 AM »
      So your video card has TWICE as much RAM as your entire system? This should definitely be rethought.

zmoustache

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 12:23:13 PM »
      The computer belongs to a friend of mine, this all started when his son wanted to play more extreme games...I was shocked when I saw it only had 128mb.
      I told him that he needed to add more.
      I found a couple of 265mb  sticks that I'm going to install for him

I'll try swiching the cards around and let ya know what happens

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 05:08:51 PM »
        "Extreme games" and "FX5200" do not belong in the same sentance together, sorry  ;)

zmoustache

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:25:57 PM »
        Well...I got the card to install. I disbled the onboard, and once I was able to boot to VGA mode, it was a piece of cake from there.
        Of course adding more RAM for a total of 512mb helped to

Thanks to all for the input

Z