Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wireless network.  (Read 2199 times)

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    wireless network.
    « on: August 15, 2006, 09:01:55 AM »
    ok i just ordered my new dell laptop last night and now im looking into wireless networking of my grandma's house. i called the isp and they said they charge 50 bucks for installation and 15 a month for the service, but i think i can do it myself for less. but im not real big on the whole networking thing, i never setup one up ive just managed one. so can some one point me in the right direction. i have networking for dummies but would that help me? also whats a good wireless router? and can i have my grandmas computer wire to the wireless router or not?

TIA

unlovedwarrior

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: wireless network.
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 09:50:53 AM »
    I haven't seen networking for dummies but I would think it would be helpful.  I have a D-Link DI-524 wireless router.  But, I don't want to get into recommendations because this is the only wireless router I've owned, so I don't have experience with other models for comparison.  However, I will say I've had no problems with this router; I bought it about 5 months ago, as I recall.

Like many other routers, my D-Link DI-524 has ports on back for up to 4 computers via cable.  This is in addition to the wireless part of it.  So, yes, your grandma's computer could be connected to it via CAT5 cable.  If her computer does not have an onboard LAN/ethernet connector, you can get ethernet car to install in a PCI slot.  They are not very expensive.

What type of Internet service do you have?  DSL, cable, dialup?

When you connect a router to your modem, you may need to change your modem's configuration to work with a router.  At least, this is what I had to do with my DSL modem.  Fortunately, I was able to get telephone support from my ISP on setting this up, at no additional charge.  I believe some ISP's are fussy about this.  You might call them and ask them whether settings in the modem would need to be changed if you add a router.  See how they respond.

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 09:53:58 AM »
      at first i ask them how much the would charge for doing it and its 50 bucks and 15 a month.. would that be a good idea?? or would doing it my self be cheaper?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »
      Your goal, in my opinion, should be to set this up with no costs beyond the router and maybe a CAT5 cable, a crossover cable to connect the modem to the router, and a wireless receiver for your laptop if you don't already have that.  In other words, no extra fees from your ISP.  None.  I pay the same monthly fee, when using a router and using multiple computers on the Internet, as I would if I only had one computer connected directly to the modem.  

dslreports.com is devoted to Internet and networking issues and has a forum.  You can probably find some discussions over there on your specific ISP.  

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:05:29 AM »
        thanks alot  :D

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru