Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another video card dilemma.  (Read 3940 times)

Nealiol

Another video card dilemma.
« on: August 27, 2006, 03:09:07 PM »
Well, I was playing Counter-Strike: Source(A first-person shooter, and it's not a very stressful game to run, so I'm kinda lost why this happened)

So anyways, I was playing, and out of nowhere, everything went berzerk!  I mean, I changed nothing, I didn't trip over my computer, I didn't change any settings, it was completely random.

I have a picture of what it looked like
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/nealiol/test_hardware0000.jpg

Alright so, I downloaded the newest driver, and tried to figure out ATi's Catalyst control center.

Now, before I downloaded and installed the new driver, my games would launch, but they would look like the picture above.

Now, I get fatal error messages, and I just have no idea where to start.
One game gave me a detailed error message, and here is what it said:
FatalError:
Cannot set display mode!
It was unable to find display mode with OpenGL acceleration.
Make sure you install proper drivers for your video card as recommended
in documentation and set your desktop to 16 bit (65536 colors).
Please see ReadMe file for troubleshooting information.

I did the only thing I understood out of that, which was change my desktop appearence to 16 bit, but still nothing worked.

Also, Other things have slowed down. For instance, whenever I scroll down a web page it has to wait and load it, making it very choppy.
Also also, when I start up my computer, when it shows the Windows XP icon and the little loading bar, theres a bunch of weird discolored boxes scattered around. It's really concerning/confusing.

I was wondering if there was something I could do to fix this? Maybe a file/folder that I can completly delete and just reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

GX1_Man

Re: Another video card dilemma.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »
You might want to post some specifics about your machine and look in there to see if the fan is spinning on the card.