Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding Networks in Windows XP SP2.  (Read 2583 times)

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Adding Networks in Windows XP SP2.
    « on: September 04, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »
    Hi Guys my friend has a problem with his network.. HE bought a router and he set all of the wireless laptops to connect to the wireless router and share files between laptops, I told him that this might not be possible.. Everytime he restarts the laptops the laptops loose the connection.. so he has to everytime setup a network..
    So i told him to create a Ad-Hoc Network, He went to Wireless Connection and he wants to add a network.. when he entered the SSID and he wants to make this connection between computer to computer network, so he entered the SSID and the option to make this a Ad-Hoc network the option is disabled. it is shaded gray he cant click on it..

GX1_Man

Re: Adding Networks in Windows XP SP2.
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 09:01:44 PM »
    Why do you he want an ad hoc network? What is the rationale that this will fix the solution?

What hardware is involved?
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 09:02:36 PM by GX1_Man »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 10:14:47 AM »
      "HE bought a router and he set all of the wireless laptops to connect to the wireless router and share files between laptops, I told him that this might not be possible".

Why would it not be possible, I wonder? :-?

Like GX1_Man asks, you don't tell about the hardware being used.  You also don't tell us how many laptops there are / HOW did he initally set up the system / WHERE the router lives / what software your wireless system are using.

A lot more info would be helpful  ;)

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 06:36:43 PM »
        Well then why everytime he restarts the laptops the network dissappears.. he has a Lynksys Router.. ok mayube i was wrong that he can do that.. but then how can he

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 09:35:39 PM »
          With the router came instructions.  Did he read them?

Again:
          "You also don't tell us how many laptops there are / HOW did he initally set up the system / WHERE the router lives / what software your wireless system are using."

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 10:51:32 AM »
            Sorry ale52 i did not make my initial post descritptive.
            He has three laptops, and he read the router instructions, He enabled the router to be a wireless access point to the laptops, and he did not hook any internet to the router, so to say it simple the router is in the living room with only the power supply hooked up to it, and he shares the files between with the router, so if he wanted to share my documents folder for example, he would right click on my documents and he would select Sharing and Security, he enabled it to share, and the other two laptops can see the folder but when he restarts the laptop the other two laptops can not see the folder, so he has to disable and enable the my documents folder again and then the other two laptops can see the folder, but why is that happeing..  
            Router Lives in the Living room
            Software used: Not Sure but he has the latest Lynksys Firmware Updated./

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.