Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new look for computerhope.com  (Read 13048 times)

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: new look for computerhope.com
    « Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »
    Is it not possible to find out the user's resolution, and alter the page accordingly? I know some types of table can have their size set relative to the screen size.

Neil

Expert
      « Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »
      Don't forget to update this.

http://www.computerhope.com/more.htm

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #47 on: September 20, 2006, 01:43:18 PM »
      Is it not possible to find out the user's resolution, and alter the page accordingly? I know some types of table can have their size set relative to the screen size.
      Yes, the way that is done is to specify percentages for width instead of pixels.  It has the advantage of allowing the page to adjust to the viewers screen but can be more difficult to develop so that it displays well across a range of resolutions, especially if you have images in some table cells, since images have fixed dimensions.
      « Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:44:09 PM by soybean »

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #48 on: September 20, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
      I think the amount of scrolling is not bad at all.  Many other sites have as much or more.  For example, see http://www.pcmag.com/ and http://www.extremetech.com/.  

I would get rid of the borderlines around the table cells.  As you know, tables are commonly used to create columns in page layout but many sites make the table cell borderlines invisible.  In my opinion, it gives a more sophisticated look.  The two sites mentioned above are examples.  I could cite many others.

Along with this, the use of different colors for table cells could be elmininated or decreased, with a white background being used more often.  Again, the two sites mentioned above are examples and I could cite many others.

The font size could also be smaller.  This might create the opportunity to add a fourth column, perhaps with some banner ads in the right column.

And, regarding ads, I would not begrudge a little more commercial look.  The development of all the content in ComputerHope.com must have been a huge undertaking.  You're entitled to make some money with this site.

Regarding page width, you could perhaps set it wider, somewhere between 800 and 1024.  I believe a the percentage of users now using 800x600 resolution is rather small.  

Raptor

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2006, 02:22:40 PM »
      I think the amount of scrolling is not bad at all.  Many other sites have as much or more.  For example, see http://www.pcmag.com/ and http://www.extremetech.com/.  

We used to have no scrolling at all, which looked a lot better.

The two sites mentioned above are examples.  [highlight]I could cite many others.[/highlight]

Like the previous computerhope.com layout...

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #50 on: September 20, 2006, 02:41:39 PM »
      The former layout, http://www.computerhope.com/index2.htm, definitely requires some scrolling to see all of the page.  Creating a page which requires no scrolling provides very little real estate with which to work.  Look at any major site; none of them attempt to create a home page which requires no scrolling.

Raptor, if you want to see a real scrolling mess, here's an example: http://www.freewarerocks.com/
      « Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:44:18 PM by soybean »

Raptor

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2006, 02:44:52 PM »
      The former layout, http://www.computerhope.com/index2.htm, definitely requires some scrolling to see all of the page.  Creating a page which requires no scrolling provides very little real estate with which to work.  Look at any major site; none of them attempt to create a home page which requires no scrolling.

Ok, so I was overreacting to get my point across.

But the only reason you have to scroll is because the page is vertical rather than horizontal. If the tip of the week was placed next to all the other tables it wouldn't need scrolling. I am using a resolution of 1280x1024, though.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #52 on: September 20, 2006, 02:54:14 PM »
      Well, what you're saying is to use wider tables and add one or more columns so that more of the content could be horizontally displayed.  I would agree the page width could be extended, but most web developers would probably not want to go higher than 1024 for a fixed width page to avoid horizontal scrolling for at least all users using 1024 x 768 resolution, which I believe includes a great number of users.  Still, that would reduce horizontal scrolling.

The other thing which would help some, as I mentioned in a previous post, would be to use a smaller font.

Neil

Expert
        « Reply #53 on: September 20, 2006, 06:03:43 PM »
        Even though the old site required scrolling, most of the important information was at the top.

Here's an idea. What about some kind of tab system. A default main tab holding computer help quick links and what's new. Then other tabs to switch to news etc on the same site. That way you could get more into smaller space, and not overload the user with information.

The search box and those buttons are too hard to spot... putting it on a side bar made it easier to see. Possibly put it on a side bar with the tabs.

Some pictures, even if just to break up the boxes, would be nice. The monitor on the old one was sleek.

I agree with Soybean invisible borders on the tables looks better, and a bit more space between them.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
          « Reply #54 on: September 20, 2006, 06:30:05 PM »
          I have to admit, it could use some more horizontal to it. It's not much of a change, but since it's not all that much change I have to say that it's not an improvement. Maybe it's because it's a lot of links. I'm looking at the original and comparing. I'm not sure what the big difference is... yeah, it's the lack of a PC image like in index2.htm. There needs to be a break in it. :)

Thanks for the work, Nathan! ;D
          "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Computer Hope
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Guru
          New look for computerhope.com *Take Two!*
          « Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 04:57:27 PM »
          Ok after close to a dozen other attempts at redesigning the main page i've come up with one favorite. Which I believe should address most of the concerns mentioned earlier. I'm trying to keep true to the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle, but had a difficult time with so much information.

Before posting this completely new look to the main page I'll see what everyone thinks first.

Example page can be found at: http://www.computerhope.com/index6.htm

Don't forget to update this.

http://www.computerhope.com/more.htm
          Will be changed as soon as all other updates are complete and main page is something I'm satisfied with and other Computer Hope users can agree on.

We used to have no scrolling at all, which looked a lot better.
          Scrolling has been reduced now and with the large resolution that you're running at should be a lot less. Unfortunately, getting rid of all scrolling is impossible without removing the new features added ie: visitor favorites, latest computer news, and recent forum posts.
          Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
          -Albert Einstein

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2006, 05:24:14 PM »
            [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Whoa, you disallowed smiley only posts? Cool! ;D

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #57 on: September 21, 2006, 06:15:53 PM »
            With all the time i spend here at the Forums scrolling has never been a challenge for me.... ;D :D
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2006, 07:49:50 PM »
              I think the new proposed home page looks more like a site than our current home page does. :)

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

• someday this name will be known
                « Reply #59 on: September 21, 2006, 09:49:10 PM »
                it will work