Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: auto restart PC when idle  (Read 2189 times)

wickedchew

Topic Starter

Rookie
    auto restart PC when idle
    « on: September 28, 2006, 07:50:59 AM »
    Hi,

I'm pretty new in this website but it help me alot about creating simple batch files for my work. I also thank you for creating this website, this has been my favorite resouce site for tips and tricks with Windows.

I would like to know if it is possible to create a batch file that would restart the computer automatically when idle instead of triggering the screen saver.

I'm trying to create and mix and match commands. I already know about the shutdown /r xx command however, I would like to be when an interaction is made, the counter would restart.

I hope this would be possible.

Thanks in advance

;D ECHO  ;D
    "If it's there and you can see it — it's real.

QBasicMac

Re: auto restart PC when idle
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »
    You need Windows XP or else have a Resource Kit installed. Then you can put SHUTDOWN into a script.

To call it is another matter. I don't think there is any way to associate a BAT file or program with the screen saver.

That means there would be no way for your computer to say "I have been idle for x minutes, therefore run program X".

But I've been wrong before. Maybe you can rename the screen saver program, if you could find it, and substitute your shutdown. But I tend to think there is no such program and instead the OS simply runs screen-save pictures.

Mac

wickedchew

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: auto restart PC when idle
      « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 10:20:43 AM »
      Thanks for your prompt response. I appreciate it.

So, I need to install a Resource Kit to be able to do this? Hmmm... That's a good suggestion! Also, thank you for giving me an idea to make a screen saver file that would call a shutdown command.

BTW, the PCs that I'm working on are al XPs and 2000s.

;D ECHO ;D
      "If it's there and you can see it — it's real.