Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Think Vista sounds good?  (Read 5873 times)

GX1_Man

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Think Vista sounds good?
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »
    Vista seems like one of those things that seem like a good idea at the time...

The thing I hate about Windows is that it went too far. DOS confused the *censored* out of a lot of people, and it implied that you had to be intelligent to own/use a computer. Windows was invented, and Win95/98 made it easier to do a number of tasks. Building on this success, Microsoft apparently went on upgrading, making more "wizards" that do things for you. However, at the same time, it's difficult to do custom things on the computer to your benefit. It does things for you, so it's hard to find ways to change the way things are done. Not to say that they aren't there, but it's hard to find. I can't wait to see what advanced feature Vista takes away.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:24:54 AM »
    and it implied that you had to be intelligent to own/use a computer.

What's wrong with that?  If the Internet was full of intelligent people, it'd be a better place! No more bunnyhoppers, no more badly written posts! It'd be bliss! YES! LONG LIVE MS-DOS!

Microsoft apparently went on upgrading, making more "wizards" that do things for you. However, at the same time, it's difficult to do custom things on the computer to your benefit. It does things for you, so it's hard to find ways to change the way things are done.

The Wizards are absolutely shite, especially the ones on Network connection that take you through a lot of steps, but in the end do nothing at all.  :-X

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:35:49 PM »
      What's wrong with that?

Nothing. :)

I should qualify my statement: It implied that you had to be intelligent to use a computer, so if you did, then it was a symbol of status. (Status of genius or geek/nerd, depending on who you ask. Today when I talk about DOS I get blank stares.)
      « Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 10:45:57 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

homer

Expert
        « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 10:42:46 PM »
        the raptors rant about the network wizard is sooooo true. >:( another useless wizard is the "found new hardware" wizard. >:(

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
          « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 05:43:35 AM »
          I was playing with the voce recognition in Vista a few Days ago, its a nice feture, but im seeing the requirements for vist posted about the place.... ack i spent too much on my Computer for M$ to go and tell me its not Good enuph for there *censored* OS
          Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 08:05:20 AM »
          MS builds Wizards...problem is none of them are functional.

Can anyone say "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard " ? ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 08:12:07 AM »
          I never tried that one, I am a bit reluctant because I am worried that my files and settings might somewhere along the process be ejected into oblivion.

What does it do?  :P

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
            « Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 08:51:52 AM »
            dilbert i get blank stares when i say computer... let alone talk about the workings of viruses and other infections

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 09:07:36 AM »
            I never tried that one, I am a bit reluctant because I am worried that my files and settings might somewhere along the process be ejected into oblivion.

What does it do?  :P

It does exactly what you described....what it was designed to do is take all your applications , settings, My Documents etc. all your important stuff and be able to seamlessly transfer them in to a new clean XP installation.

My success rate was once out of 8 tries and being no idiot i never went back...

patio.  8-)
            « Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:08:26 AM by patio »
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »
              That reminds me: There was this "All Movie Talk" website I was at (linked from RinkWorks) and I heard this blooper:

They were talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey.What was supposed to be

Hal is not actually evil. He behaves evil, but he's just a computer; he's doing what he was programmed to do.

came out a lot closer to the truth:

Hal is not actually evil. He behaves evil because he's a computer -- ah, no. [laughing]

Oh, and I just found this gem:

Hi I just talked to [a PC retailer], and they told me to call you. A water main in our house broke, and 85 gallons of water got dumped on my PC. It's insured, but the insurance company will only cover the parts I can prove are bad. I think it's dry now; can you help me troubleshoot it?
              « Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:34:56 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
                • Yes
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 09:46:18 PM »
              <snip>
              Oh, and I just found this gem:

Hi I just talked to [a PC retailer], and they told me to call you. A water main in our house broke, and 85 gallons of water got dumped on my PC. It's insured, but the insurance company will only cover the parts I can prove are bad. I think it's dry now; can you help me troubleshoot it?

Classic!
              Back In The Game