Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I randomly started getting pop-ups.  (Read 2950 times)

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • It's hip to be sq3r.
    I randomly started getting pop-ups.
    « on: October 20, 2006, 11:27:43 PM »
    I have no idea why and it's really aggravating. It started about a week ago, and all efforts to figure out what's causing them have been unsuccessful.

I've done a full scan at least once with the following anti-virus/malware software: AVG, AdAware, Avast!, Windows Defender, Spy Sweeper, Spybot, and none of them have been able to find the root of the problem.

What typically happens is first, I get a small "Work Offline" dialog message from IE, which I don't have open, and it asks me to connect to the internet or work offline, and I usually just click the latter option just to get it out of the way. Most of the time another one comes a few seconds after, and possibly another after that. Then the pop-up appears in the form of an IE window, usually with a "Could not connect" message, but sometimes with an ad for Orbitz.

The other thing that happens has to do with Firefox. I will randomly get a new tab containing one of the following websites: systemdoctor.com, amaema.com, winantivirus.com or drivecleaner.com and a dialog box with a message something like, "Your computer could be infected, blah blah blah. Click OK for a free system scan!" the usual adware crap. Of course I click Cancel instead, and it brings up another thing right after informing me that when the install window shows up to press "install" to get some great new virus scanning software. Well nothing comes up after that and I can just close the tab, but it will happen many times a day.

I looked up some solutions to ridding myself of whatever is in charge of systemdoctor.com or any of the other companies on Google and found a couple things, and one of them was to run a HiJackThis scan. None of the things the site said would appear in the results did, so I couldn't do anything with it. Another had me download a stupid program that only scanned your computer for infection, it didn't do anything about it.

Is there anything I can do that I haven't already?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      Re: I randomly started getting pop-ups.
      « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:35:34 PM »
      never click ok

hello and welcome  

hi  

first im guessing your os is xp home.. if so is it fully updated??  

go here  

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580  

dl    
      ewido  

adaware  

spybot  

Ccleaner  

windows defender  

update them    

use Ccleaner to empty your junk from temp files just open and run scan  

then do full scans with ewido adaware spybot windows defender and your antivirus  in safe mode (rapidly tap f8 before windows loads go to safe mode the very top one) and with system restore turned off ( right click my computer go to properties click system restore tab check box that says turn off system restore)  

then reboot back into normal and report back  

if you dont have a firewall already then dl zonalarm free from the site i gave  

if your having pop up problems and this might be good to dl and install anyway  

(for the pop up problem go here  
      http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147665297 )  

and dl host secure  

unlovedwarrior

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 05:22:07 AM »
      I've done a full scan at least once with the following anti-virus/malware software: AVG, AdAware, Avast!, Windows Defender, Spy Sweeper, Spybot, and none of them have been able to find the root of the problem.

Do they have the latest definitions installed and did you scan in safe mode?

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 03:20:25 PM »
        Vundo.

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • It's hip to be sq3r.
          « Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 04:55:12 PM »

Do they have the latest definitions installed and did you scan in safe mode?

They do have the latest definitions, and no I have not done it in safe mode. I will definitely do that now though and tell you how it is afterwards. Thanks :]