Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Choppy video/audio when playing DVDs  (Read 4673 times)

hans1cha

Choppy video/audio when playing DVDs
« on: October 31, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »
Hello,

I was just wondering what could be the problem when my computers video and audio is really choppy when i play a DVD.  It is choppy on Windows Media Center, PowerDVD, etc.  I dont think it could be my graphics card because whenever i play other videos that are not  from a disc, they work just fine, and my display and everything else works great as well.  Here is a summary of what I have from Everest Home edition.  Thanks everybody! ;D

Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
      OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          Mobile DualCore Intel Pentium M, 1833 MHz (11 x 167)
      Motherboard Name                                  Dell MM061
      Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM
      System Memory                                     1024 MB  (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
      BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (05/11/06)

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     ATI Mobility Radeon X1400  (256 MB)
      Video Adapter                                     ATI Mobility Radeon X1400  (256 MB)

Multimedia:
      Audio Adapter                                     Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
      IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
      IDE Controller                                    Ricoh Memory Stick Host Controller
      IDE Controller                                    Ricoh MMC Host Controller
      IDE Controller                                    Ricoh xD-Picture Card Host Controller
      Disk Drive                                        TOSHIBA MK1032GSX  (91 GB, IDE)
      Optical Drive                                     TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L532B  (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:8x, CD:24x/10x/24x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
      SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
      C: (NTFS)                                         66762 MB (48428 MB free)
      D: (NTFS)                                         22387 MB (4505 MB free)
      Total Size                                        87.1 GB (51.7 GB free)

GX1_Man

Re: Choppy video/audio when playing DVDs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 04:38:50 PM »
Did it ever work correctly? If so, what has happened?

What are you using for malware protection? Regular housekeeping and defrag?

Details please and history.

hans1cha

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
Yes it did work before when i first got it a few months ago.  I have Mcafee virus protection, and a symantec protection service for the network at my college.  I don't have any malware protection, unless that is within those two programs.  I have no idea why it all of sudden doesn't work anymore... :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 05:42:08 PM »
Slowdowns from spyware, which these do not protect against?

Have a read:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

hans1cha

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 08:07:18 PM »
I ran Adware, and CCleaner in Safe Mode with System restore turned off.  It seemed to have improved by quite a big, but there is still some lagging going on with the video, the audio seems to be working fine.  Anymore suggestions?  Thanks a lot for the help by the way!

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:42:29 AM »
Now try Spybot in safe mode and let us know what is found.  ;)

If that doesn't work, disable McAfee temporarily, unhook from the internet and game. What happens now?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:44:24 AM by GX1_Man »

hans1cha

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:42:56 PM »
Well I tried spybot, and that found some more things to get rid of.  Then I tried a Dvd once again and it was still lagging.  Then I disconnected from the internet and disabled mcafee like you said to do, and I loaded a game that I thought would not work with my graphics card. However, the game worked great and ran smoothly at a high frame rate... so I'm not sure whats up with it... Thanks again!

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 02:46:52 PM »
Next I would uninstall McAfee, load on AVG Free edition and then rehook it to the internet. What happens now? Still all good?

hans1cha

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 09:05:55 PM »
I uninstalled Mcafee, installed AVG, and tried it.  The DVD still is lagging the same amount as before. :-/

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:03:47 AM »
And if you disconnect from the internet WITH AVG loaded, then what? I am trying to cover all the possibilities to find where the culprit is.

hans1cha

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 09:12:25 AM »
I disconnected from the internet while I had AVG loaded and the results were the same.  The Media Center lags quite a bit more than when I use PowerDVD, but that isn't so great either.

Do you think it would be worth it if I installed a different program?  If it is, any suggestions?

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 01:33:09 PM »
Would these happen to be original DVD's ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hans1cha

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 07:33:55 PM »
Yep, they are definitely original Dvd's.  :)

hans1cha

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 07:30:36 PM »
Does anybody else have an idea of what could be going on?  Thanks in advance.

hans1cha

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 12:43:53 PM »
This must be a mystery problem... :o