Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: yeah hard drive again....  (Read 2497 times)

Red

yeah hard drive again....
« on: October 31, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »
Well i asked eons ago on here how to make a old HD a slave so my computer could have two HD. Well i got that to work way back then but i never got any farther than that.... i never got it too recognize that there was another HD... so very recently i got a message saying that my hardrive was low on space so i dug out the old HD i tried to make work before and i actually got it to recognize that there was another HD...... But there was more problems.... it seems that my comp is trying to run 2 windows when i start up. I get the logon screen with my name and password but another picture... then when i log on it says that this windows is not registered.... i have know way to register it... So i was wondering is there a way to format the old one (the one that i am hooking up) therefore taking off windows.... without having to log on and register windows... that is my only problem if i can get this stupid thing to work i can have enough gigs to rest easy so please some one help.

Red

Re: yeah hard drive again....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:35:10 AM »
ok i figured it out! but now i have another problem. What i had done that made both HD try to run windows was that the one i was adding was set as a slave but the one that i had was not set as a master. So i pulled out the old one to see how to set it as a master and i saw that i needed to plug two of the pins.... now the problem is i dont have two of the little black plug thingies...... but i was diging thrue some old parts and i found a old cd drive (from the same pc as the HD im adding actually) this had pins much like the HD and on them is a yellow not black plug..... is this the same thing as the black plug on the HD? if it isnt do you know where i can get those black plugs? or how to make a substitute? please i really need this HD any help would be nice.

K i just looked on the web and found that the things i called "plugs" are called jumpers..... so my question again is the yellow jumper on my old cd drive the same as the black jumper on my HD?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:48:31 AM by Red »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:47:06 AM »
As long as the pins on the two devices are spaced the same and that yellow jumper fits on the pins on your hard drive, it should work fine.  All it does is establish an electrical contact between two pins.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:47:55 AM by soybean »

Red

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 11:13:30 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHH HHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

im going to cry......

I set it all up i got it to verify windows..... but it signs on windows as the slave HD..... what the heck? what did i do wrong? it even says that its a slave yet it signs on that one..... i cant format it....... what do i do??????????????????

basicly i guess  what i need to know is there a way to make the PC boot a HD? like in setup or something.... So it will boot the HD i want (what should be a master..... though it says that its a secondary master to the cd drive....) please please please help me.... im about ready to smash my head into the wall.