Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: better faster linux  (Read 5529 times)

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
better faster linux
« on: November 05, 2006, 10:33:03 PM »
what I would like is a distro that runs fast rather than eye-candy... I need a GUI im not a linux person but want to learn....

I plan on running it in a virtual computer that will have 256 ram host comp is 3gig cpu...

Ive used suse 9.1 way to slow and didnt like the feel

I like knoppix but theres no install, Kantotix is about the same I instaled it and its kinda slow...

I tried vector linux and the instalation kept freezing wile probing the video so I had to skip it and now every thing is HUGE...

I like the ubunti's but none of them will configure to my network(ive had this prob with a few distros)

I dont even know how many I have tried so far I used colledge linux about 2 years ago maybe if I can find something like that....

I run xp pro in a virtual computer and it runs great other than having 256 ram, I dont understand why linux is so slow compared to it...

I only use 1 virtual comp at a time and the host...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 10:36:55 PM by fat_basterd21 »
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: better faster linux
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:32:33 AM »
Vector is the way to go; you may just need a hand configuring X.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 05:33:09 AM »
what I would like is a distro that runs fast rather than eye-candy... I need a GUI im not a linux person but want to learn....

I plan on running it in a virtual computer that will have 256 ram host comp is 3gig cpu...

Ive used suse 9.1 way to slow and didnt like the feel

I like knoppix but theres no install, Kantotix is about the same I instaled it and its kinda slow...

I tried vector linux and the instalation kept freezing wile probing the video so I had to skip it and now every thing is HUGE...

I like the ubunti's but none of them will configure to my network(ive had this prob with a few distros)

I dont even know how many I have tried so far I used colledge linux about 2 years ago maybe if I can find something like that....

I run xp pro in a virtual computer and it runs great other than having 256 ram, I dont understand why linux is so slow compared to it...

I only use 1 virtual comp at a time and the host...

Guess Who? :-? ;D
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 04:53:51 PM »
Use a lot of that"colledge linux" makes everything seem more simple. :-?

SNAP!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 04:54:58 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »
yea and I remember there was a 3 page help file for install and known bugs that made it a SNAP... No problem getting the iso to bad  the help file doesn't come on it....

As for Vector linux I accidently deleted it so If that is the best i may have to reinstall and try to configure it...

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 04:45:54 AM »
I like knoppix but theres no install

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+install+knoppix

With 256 RAM, Vector is your best bet (or Slackware itself if you REALLY want to learn linux!)

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 04:39:17 PM »
Ok I must have tried 15 different distros at least with VC I dont have to burn any more disks... it seems to me the newer the release the more limited it gets... are the striving that bad to be like windows... what happend to the totally configureable gui's... and another thing tell me why its against the law to show screen shots of your dist... I mean its an hour download then three to install (debian) just to say surprise... and system req. and sudj. req also fail to be posted almost all the time...

I'm starting to wonder if this is a lost cause....

I installed slackware 11.0 and when it finaly finished I pushed the wrong button and it started installing all over again and you can guess what I said to that....

does slackware use the KDE because I have found that I dont perfer gnome.....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 04:49:20 PM by fat_basterd21 »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 04:46:09 PM »
Ok I must have tried 15 different distros at least with VC I dont have to burn any more disks... it seems to me the newer the release the more limited it gets... are the striving that bad to be like windows... what happend to the totally configureable gui's... and another thing tell me why its against the law to show screen shots of your dist... I mean its an hour download then three to install (debian) just to say surprise... and system req. and sudj. req also fail to be posted almost all the time...

I'm starting to wonder if this is a lost cause....

Me too!!! ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 06:08:28 PM »
Slackware uses KDE but a few more Window managers are available as well. They gave up on Gnome.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:08:49 PM by GX1_Man »

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 09:14:32 PM »
Ok well I finaly got College Linux 2.5 installed AND runing And I managed to manually configure the eth0 (i'm soo proud of myself) now im quite happy for now

I was wondering what the pro's con's are for using an older linux.... is it not updateable or just not as flashy...

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 02:58:44 AM »
Older versions of Linux will typically not have support for modern hardware, and may have security vulnerabilities.  They will however tend to be less resource-hungry and run more quickly on older hardware.

Older Linux distros will receive less support, but you'll still get some kind of support somewhere.  That's the beauty of open source - someone else will be doing the same thing and you can pool your resources.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 03:10:51 AM »
thanx rob I doubt an old linux will be the biggest hole in my security and I wont be using anymore hardware than what I got... I really do like this College Linux after trying many other distro's I dont know why it died... thank you too GX1 you guys are great help...