Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: will linux read .avi format movies?  (Read 4067 times)

Dead_reckon

will linux read .avi format movies?
« on: December 08, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
i was wondering if Ubuntu linux has a program that will play .avi (divx) format movies. also, can i use the composite out on my video card on linux so i can watch movies on my TV? the video card is a Saphire radeon 9200. this is what it looks like:

the system i am planning on running Ubuntu on is a pentium four 1.5ghz based shuttle SS51G, with 512mbs of DDR266 memory, ati radeon 9200 128mb 128  bit video card, 320 gig western digital 3200JB hard drive, Lite-On DVD burner (unsure of the specs), and i will soon add a tv tuner card to it. the system has one AGP 4X and one PCI 32 bit slot. also, does linux support 5.1 surround sound integrated audio? i think the onboard audio uses the realtek chipset... the reason i want to know this is so i can convert this lil computer from a dust collecting paper weight, to a multimedia center PC.

EDIT: this is the shuttle XPC SS51G i am going to use (ive swapped the cd burner for a dvd burner since this pic was taken):

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:01:15 PM by Dead_reckon »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: will linux read .avi format movies?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:28:05 AM »
i was wondering if Ubuntu linux has a program that will play .avi (divx) format movies. also, can i use the composite out on my video card on linux so i can watch movies on my TV?
Yes, and yes (with the right cables).

There are lots of different video players for Linux.  LOTS (see Google).  Many will come with your distro (especially if you've added the Universe package repository).

You may want to check out VLC Media Player - that's available for Windows, Linux and some other platforms.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos